Chapter 4 : Butch's Deli

As I woke up the morning light seeped through my thin curtains, the sun soaking my room. I was buried in my cocoon of pillows and blankets, the sun warming my body. I lifted my head slowly. How did I get here? I remember falling asleep on the couch with Dean. I pushed my body up, leaning on my elbows. I rubbed my head and my eyes began to open slowly. I looked at the alarm clock. 9:37 am. I was shocked at how late I had slept in. I was always up at 6:30 making breakfast for my boys but by the sounds of the commotion in the kitchen, it was being taken care of. I sunk back into bed momentarily when I heard my door creak open. I raised my head off the bed again to see Dean leaning in my door way.

"Mornin'." He said, a sweet grin on his face.

"Oh... hey." I said, my voice still raspy.

"How you feeling?"

"Like I got hit with a Mac Truck." I knew he was clearly amused by my pain letting out a chuckle.

"Yeah well with the amount of whiskey you had and the beating you took I'm not surprised." I furrowed my brow. "I brought you some pain killers for your head and some coffee. Bobby tried cooking so I wouldn't go down there just yet."

"Oh... thank you." I said quietly, hesitant to take them from him. His grin faded slightly. I walked over to him him pulling them from his hands with a smile. He held on to them not letting me leave.

"Em look-"

"Dean you don't have to say it. I get it. We drank, shit was said, its ok-"

"No I do because clearly you don't listen."

"What?" I thought I was getting the last night was fun speech.

"Emma I was sober....."

"Oh."

"And I mean I know you weren't.... I wanted to make sure you were't uncomfortable with anything." He was somehow closer to me. I hadn't felt him move but he now I could smell him. He must have been fresh from the shower minty breath but there was always a twinge of gunpowder that hung around him. I looked down, avoiding his eyes.

"I mean no. I meant what I said to you. I'm not regretting anything we did. But I'm not some hussy at a bar. I'm not here to be the thing that helps you move on and get left behind. If thats what that was then lets shake hands and agree to let last night be what it was and nothing more." His face had so many emotions rolling through I couldn't get a read. I was never unsure of myself. I always knew what I wanted but I felt so... nervous around him. It was so far from my comfort zone. Any guy I had been with was a stranger that I could charm. But Dean knew me better than anyone.

"So thats what you want? You want to part ways and pretend that this was nothing?"

"No but-" I started to say. His lips were on mine again. I had missed it.

"There's your answer Em. Whats yours." I felt a smile creep on my face as I gave him the same 'answer' he gave me. We hung there in the bliss of it all. For once something was making me happy. Some one was here for me. Finally.

"Is she up yet Dean?" Bobby called from the kitchen.

"Yes I am." I called back, Dean and I let out a giggle.

"Well hurry up and get your ass down here." He called.

"Shove it old man!" I laughed back. I gently kissed his cheek, feeling his beard that had begun to grow out, pulling what he brought me from his hands. I placed the pills on the night stand and threw my hair into a pony tail. Grabbing my coffee I turned to find Dean still standing in the door, smiling. Beaming really.