➣ one.

001. | A DEVIOUS PLAN

A loud, rhythmic tapping sound quickly brought me out of a sleep I wasn't supposed to have.

Snapping my eyes open, I sharply raised my head, then pushed myself to an upright position. At first I thought it was my aunt Sarah, but when the sound came again, I realized it was coming from my window, not my door. Jumping out of bed and darting over to the window, I held back a grin before opening it to let my visitor inside.

"What are you doing here, Mal?" I asked, crossing my arms as I raised an eyebrow at my friend. "And how did you even get up here, this window is two stories up."

"I flew," Mal replied sarcastically. When I gave her an unimpressed look she huffed and held up her hands. "Kidding, jeez. I climbed the piping system and the chimney."

I nodded. "Okay, so what are you doing here?"

"Here's a more important question: what are you still doing here?" Mal asked, copying my posture and poking my shoulder with one finger. However, when I opened my mouth to reply, she held up one hand to stop me. "Nevermind, I don't care."

I rolled my eyes. I knew that Mal actually did care, she just acted like she didn't a lot of the time. "My mom made me stay up late cleaning her cauldron. I got hardly any sleep."

"Dang." Mal walked over to my bed and plopped down on it, taking a sucker out of her jacket pocket and sticking it in her mouth. "Did she give a reason?"

I snorted softly. "Does she ever?"

Mal nodded. "True. But we can talk about it later, cause that's not why I'm here."

"So why are you here?" I asked for the third time.

"My mom told me to get you," Mal said. "Apparently she has some big announcement for all of us."

"Jay, Evie, and Carlos, too?" I asked.

Mal took the sucker out of her mouth and rolled her eyes. "What part of 'all of us' was not clear to you?"

I snorted. "Alright, fine. Give me fifteen minutes."

"You have ten." Mal got up and walked over to the window before she paused by it and added, "And yes, I'll be counting." Then she ducked out the window and was gone.

I crossed my arms, shaking my head and chuckling to myself. I knew her well enough to know she probably would be counting. As the ringleader of our little gang, she made sure that all of us were (for the most part) on time for whatever she had planned. But I was mildly concerned since this would most likely be something Maleficent had planned, and even the densest person on the Isle knew that Mal wasn't even close to being as devious her mother was.

After I had changed out of my clothes from the night before, I headed out of my room and downstairs. When I reached the bottom of the stairs, I saw my mother and my aunts all gathered around the table, talking in hushed voices. My two cousins—Sarah's daughter Savvy and Mary's daughter Margo—were both behind them, lounging on the couch as they flipped through a cookbook.

"Look, there she is!" my mother said when she saw me, giving me that rare bucktoothed smile that usually meant she wanted something from me. "And all ready to go, I see."

I crossed my arms. "What do you want, mom?"

Her smile faltered a bit, but it didn't go away. She simply beckoned for me to join her, and I refrained from rolling my eyes as I walked over to the table. Once I was by her side, I saw what had her so excited.

She had her spellbook out.

I was surprised that she had the creepy old thing out at all; since all magic on the Isle of the Lost had been banished, it was pretty much useless. But when I saw the look on her face, I knew she had some evil plan up her sleeve, and that was probably why she had taken out the book.

"Here," she said to me, sliding the book towards me. "I want you to take this."

Okay, something is definitely up, I thought. So I gave my mother a look before raising an eyebrow. "Why are you giving me the one thing you told me not to touch if I wanted to keep my fingers attached to my hands?" I asked.

Her smile faltered again. "I have been talking with Maleficent–"

"Which is never a good sign," Margo muttered from her spot on the couch, which resulted in my mother throwing a salt shaker at her head.

"And we have both concocted a devious plan," my mother went on. "Last week, the prince of Auradon decided to allow five children of the Isle to travel there and try and 'take their place among their society'." She finished her sentence with an eye roll and air quotes with her fingers. "You, Mal, and your little gang of hoodrats are those five children."

My eyes nearly popped out of my head. "What?! Mom, are you insane?! That place is full of pompous princesses and dumb princes! They'll slaughter me if I don't do it to them first!"

"Silence!" She smacked me on the back of the head, then ignored my cry of pain and continued, "Don't argue with me, girl. You're going, because I have a job for you."

Still rubbing the back of my head, I frowned at her. "What is it?"

"You and Mal are going to use our spellbooks to find Fairy Godmother's magic wand. Then, you shall use it to break the magic barrier around the island and set us free."

My eyes drifted down to the book before meeting my mother's. "Okay, but does Mal know about this?"

"She will, in time," my mother replied. Picking up the book and shoving it into my hands, she added, "Now go! Find your little hoodlum friends, go to Auradon and bring us that wand!"

I glared at her, but put the book in my bag and walked out of the house. I really didn't want to do it, but I really didn't have a choice. Because if I knew anything about my mother, it was that if you went against her wishes, you were as good as dead.

━━━━━━━ ❃ ━━━━━━━

A/N: BITCH I'M PUMPED

Lmao here's the first chapter of my Mal fic! I know it's short, but this is more of a filler/introductory chapter; the next one takes place in the beginning of the movie and it'll be a lot longer and a lot better. The more I plan for this the more excited I get, so I really can't wait to get started. Hopefully I can find the legit script for the movie, too, since I know I'll miss some things if I go based off memory.

Anyway, thanks so much for reading, and the next chapter will be up soon!