➣ six.

006. | NOT SO BAD

"All right," Mal said as she stirred the cookie batter. "It says that we still need one tear, and I never cry."

It was late that night. The five of us had broken into the kitchen, and were using Mal's spellbook for the recipe for Ben's love spell. We'd decided to put them in some cookies instead of just using it straight on him, but I was still a little upset with the idea, especially after what'd happened earlier. I still couldn't seem to wrap my head around it. Mal had tried to kiss me. But why? 

Carlos grabbed an onion and held it up. "Let's just chop up some onions."

"No," I told him, rolling my eyes in frustration. "It says that we need one tear of human sadness."

Mal nodded in agreement. "And this love potion gets the best reviews, so we have to follow it exactly."

Jay rolled his eyes. "A tear's a tear."

Evie shook her head. "That's not true, Jay," she said, picking up a bag of flour and scooping some into the cookie batter with a measuring cup. "They both have antibodies and enzymes, but an emotional tear has more protein-based hormones than a reflex tear."

Everyone was silent for a moment, shocked, while I couldn't help but smile. This was the Evie I knew - the smartest one in the room, and not afraid to show it.

Mal grinned as well at Evie's words. "Listen to you."

"Yeah, I knew that," Jay said with a slight scoff.

Carlos smiled, lightly slapping Jay's arm. "Did not."

"Yeah, I did," Jay retorted.

"There you are, Freddy!"

We all perked up at the sound of Lonnie's voice, and I quickly covered the spellbooks with a towel to hide our plan.

"I was looking for you," Lonnie went on as she walked in. "You know, all the girls want you to do their hair." Seeing the cookie batter, she asked, "Midnight snack, huh? Whatcha guys making?"

"Nothing special, just cookies," Mal began, but stopped short when Lonnie stuck her finger in the batter and took a taste. "Oh, no, no!"

Lonnie gave us all a look as she licked her finger. "What? I'm not gonna double dip."

Evie took a step toward her. "Feel anything?"

"Yeah, like maybe it might be missing something?" I asked.

Jay stepped forward as well, giving her his signature charming smile. "Hey, there."

Lonnie gave him a weird glance before shrugging and saying, "It could use some chips."

We all relaxed at the realization that the love spell wasn't complete, and I glanced at Mal, who looked just as relieved as I felt.

"Chips?" Jay asked.

Mal huffed and returned to stirring the batter. "And those are...?"

Lonnie went over to the fridge and took out a bag of dark, small round objects, then took a handful of them and put it in the bowl. "Chocolate chips. Just the most important food group." When we all just looked at her, she asked, "Wait, didn't your moms ever make you guys, like, chocolate chip cookies? Like, when you're feeling sad, and they're fresh from the oven, with a big old glass of milk, and she just makes you laugh and puts everything into perspective and..." She stopped when she saw our faces. "Why are you all looking at me like that?"