➣ nine.

009. | NO SHAME

"Your mom's spellbook is insanely complex," Mal said to me. "I've never seen spells and potions like these before."

"I know," I said, turning the page to the book. "It's no wonder your mom wants it."

It was later that evening, and Mal and I were lounging on my bed. My knees were hugged up to my chest as I rested my back against Mal's stomach, leaning my head on her shoulder. Mal had one arm wrapped around me, and the other was holding the left side of the book so we could read it together. Just being there with her made me feel so comfortable and content—a feeling I had never felt before in my entire life. But I liked the feeling, and I never wanted it to go away.

"Oh, hey, look at this," Mal said as we flipped to the next page. "Isn't this the one your mom used on Thackery Binx?"

I squinted at it, then leaned back and laughed softly. "Yeah, it is."

"You know, finding out that your mom did that was one of the reasons why I didn't like you at first," Mal said.

I looked up at her. "Really? Why?"

"I was jealous," Mal told me. "Knowing that your mom could do a spell like that meant that you could, too, and I desperately wanted to be that good, you know?"

I huffed. "C'mon, Mal, your mom can turn into a dragon. That's so much cooler than turning a boy into a cat."

Mal shook her head with a snort. "Please. Like I could ever turn into a dragon."

I smiled, turning the page of the book. "Never say never."

We both fell silent as we continued to look through my mom's book. After several minutes, Mal leaned forward and whispered in my ear, "Can you sing for me?"

I looked at her, my heart pounding when I saw how close we were. "I don't really think I... I mean, I don't have anything. I showed you all my songs."

"Then make something up," Mal said.

I sighed quietly, thinking for a moment before I began to sing off the top of my head.

"If you hear a voice in the middle of the night
Sayin' it'll be alright
It will be me

If you feel a hand guiding you along
When the path seems wrong
It will be me

There is no mountain that I can't climb
For you, I'd swim through the rivers of time
As you go your way and I go mine
A light will shine
And it will be me

If there is a key that goes to your heart
A special part
It will be me

If you need a friend
Call out to the wind
To hold you again
It will be me

Oh, how the world seems so unfair
Creating a love that can not be shared
As you go your way and I go mine
A light will shine
And it will be me

Past the ever after, there's a place for two
In your tears of laughter
I'll be there for you

In the sun and the moon
In the land and the sea
Look all around you
It will be me