In Rose Territory

"Stay here, Rose"

She gazed at the firm back of the ebony hedgehog, eyes glistening with fright. Was he really going to take that thing on, one on one?

She didn't fear the robot. She had long since gotten over her fear of the mechanical enemy due to her extensive experience in fighting them. No. She feared for the safety of her friends, the safety of her family... the safety of the ebony.

"Is that... an Eggman robot?"

The rose gazed to her left where the rest of her friends examined the threat. It was Knuckles who'd asked, standing in a battle stance, fists raised. His gaze was... confused to say the least as he stood in between Sonic and Tails. Sally, Cream and Rouge were all perched behind them. The Chaotix stood even further behind them, ready. Vector was in front of Vanilla who was partially through the door; hand on her mouth, fearful of the robots possible destruction to her home. Charmy and Espio were positioned, the chameleon's arms crossed, the bee flying, at Vector's flanks, ready for action.

No. He would not fight alone.

"I'm... not sure. It doesn't follow any of Eggman's common designs, nor his style. And doesn't he put his insignia on them? I don't see his stamp on this one," Tails inquired, using his watch to pull up an analysis on the robot after scanning the bot from a distance, his watch a virtual computer on his arm. He tapped on the virtual screen, face determined.

"Well, whoever its creator is, it better be prepared to play! Man, I haven't fought one of these in a while. C'mon guys, let's teach this bot a lesson," Sonic chirped with a smirk, dashing forward to meet the robot head on.

"Sonic, be careful! I haven't detected a weakness on it yet! Oh boy. He never listens..." Tails shouted, defeated.

"That's Sonic for you. Thinks everything's a game. I guess we just follow his lead then. Rouge, stay here. We'll handle this," the echidna sighed, cracking his knuckles and rushing off to the battlefield.

"What! But... I can fight! You need me!" Rouge shouted to her knuckle headed partner. She sighed in defeat.

"Ugh.. If only patience existed somewhere between the two of them and I could gather enough information to tackle this robot in ten seconds flat. Never mind. Stay with Rouge and Amy, Cream. This shouldn't take too long," Tails said, dismissing his watch and flying out to join his teammates.

"But.. Wait! Tails, I can ... help..." Cream's shout diminished as her boyfriend grew smaller. She sighed.

"Go get 'em, boys. I'll stay here to protect Vanilla and her home in case that bot gets too close," Vector commanded, gently pushing a worried Vanilla back inside the house, closing the door.

"Yes sir," the two remaining Chaotix members said in unison, charging out to meet the threat like the rest.

"Shadow," Amy whispered, reaching her hand out to touch his shoulder. Although he'd told her to stay where she was, he hadn't left to fight like the others.

The ebony looked back at the rose as her hand perched on his shoulder. She gave him her wavering gaze and he gave her his closed, focused eyes. When he opened them, he revealed to her the emotion that was coursing through him, which he rarely did for anyone. That contagious emotion of... hope.

The rose's heart stopped.

The ebony turned, using the end of the porch to launch himself toward the battlefield, air skates blazing, heart throbbing, snow flying, determination set.

As the ebony neared the robot, a bubbly, purple and metal arm came slashing down to interrupt his charge. It came, flying past the ebony as he dodged the arm with ease, skating around Knuckles whom ran to punch a hole into the robots hand, only leaving a large dent as the hand came up to swat at it's chest. The bee kicked at the robots leg, stinging it as the chameleon through his weapons in areas he thought were weak. Near it's torso was a spinning blue orb, Sonic initiating his famous spin dash in hopes he could cut through the robots interior, but failing, perching on it's shoulder in exhaustion.

The robot was a tall, black and silver with glowing neon purple streaks coursing through it like they were veins. It's head resembled a war helmet from the middle ages, only a set of glowing purple eyes visible from the eye area from under the helmet, the rest shaded black and unknown. Its shoulders were rounded as if the robot were muscular, arms and legs a similar design. The bots chest was also rounded, a large hole glowing purple at the center. It's feet were block shaped like the bottom of two buildings.

"Man! You are one tough guy. Woah, careful buddy! Swatting flies off you shoulder can be pretty tricky!" Sonic exclaimed, hopping from it's shoulder to it's head as it's arm came up to crush the blue on it's shoulder. The impact caused the robot to dislodge it's own arm from it's shoulder. Tails flew by it's arm as it slowly crunched when it hit the ground with a low, satisfying thudding noise.

As the bot went to swat at it's head the blue blur jumped, landing on the ground near Shadow. The ebony glared at him.

"This isn't a game, faker. If we do not dismember this robot quickly, it could destroy Vanilla's home and those who reside in it!"

"I got ya, Shad! No need to get your panties in a twist." And with that, Sonic speed off, distracting the robot as he dodged it's ground smashing attacks with it's remaining hand.

The ebony growled, summoning his chaos energy to release on the robot's arm.

"Chaos spear!"

A metallic rip was heard as the bots other arm came crashing down to the ground below. Shadow and Knuckles jumped out of the way. A shout of victory was heard from Tails, who was in the air, ray gun in hand, and Charmy.

But their cheers were in vain.

A shudder erupted through the air as the missing parts of the robot materialized out of thin air, this times his arms made from a skinnier silver material.

The kitsune, the bee, the chameleon and the echidna looked up at the robot in shock. The blue blur muttered a curse, finally realizing the true danger of the situation. The ebony gazed at the threat with a hard, angered face.

With a fierce force, the robots arm came swiping across the ground, much faster than the ebony had expected. In his attempt to dodge the offending hand, he lunged to the side only to be smacked by the hand into the neighboring woods. He crashed, leaving a trail of broken trees and a large dent in the ground. He grunted as he emerged from the flying debris of dirt and snow, looking up at the threat in the distance, determined to rip it to shreds, incinerate it and send its ashes to hell.

~aAa~

With the departure of the ebony came the restart of Amy's heart. She'd never witnesses... that side of the ebony. Had his open emotions always been there... like that?

"Hmp. I can't believe they told us to stay here! I mean, we are the better half," Rouge pouted, muttering loud enough for her female companions to hear.

"Ohh. I Hope Tails is okay. That robot looks tough," Cream sighed with worry.