two

They arrive at the parking lot, and Camila stays seated, sending a text to her worried little sister who has found Camila's bed empty. Alfie opens the back door after doing his once-over of the lot, eyes trained to find anything that could pose a danger to the young woman.

When they're inside, Alfie leans his forearms on the bar of the shopping cart, for once feeling relaxed on this job as he notices how few people are here. Camila stays two feet in front of him, glancing up at each of the shelves to find what she needs. Turns out they're not just there for lights, Cami's taking this time to shop for presents as well.

"How long should I expect this to take?" Alfie asks in monotone, despite that he quite enjoys the brunette's company. Perhaps he acts cold to her so often because he doesn't want to get too attached. Although, it might be too late for that.

"Less than an hour," she replies, placing a food mixer in the cart next to the vintage-looking record player already in there.

Soon, just like she'd promised, the small shopping spree took less than an hour, and she'd gotten almost everything on her list.

"Could you maybe wait outside for me while I shop for a couple more minutes?" she asks with the sweetest possible voice, smiling innocently and batting her eyelashes.

While Alfie does chuckle at the sight, he shakes his head, saying, "Absolutely not."

Camila grunts lightly, dropping the façade. "How am I supposed to buy you a Christmas present if you watch my every move?"

Alfie falters at that, brows furrowing as he looks into her sincere light brown eyes. She tries this every year, and yet he's always surprised at her persistence. "You don't need to buy me a present, Miss Camila."

"I can still want to," she mutters, practically pouting as she goes for the exit. Alfie reaches out to grab her arm before she leaves. She looks back at him and starts to grin as she recognizes that look: he's giving in.

He points a finger at her, ordering, "Three minutes. I stand right here. You grab whatever and head straight for the registers then back here. Scream if you need me. But I will search after three minutes."

"Okay!" she exclaims bolting for the back of the store. Alfie knows that willingly letting the client out of his sight is a fireable offence but it's worth it to see that smile on Camila's face and hop in her step.

He wasn't reckless about it. He weighed the pros and cons, noting there were minimal people across the store for it being 4AM and only two exits—both of which he can keep his eyes on.

Alfie stands next to all the presents the woman had bought with a small smile on his face. He's sure he can tell who each item is for. Sure, there are things for her immediate family, but that's not all she got. The food mixer is for Chef Suzanne who's been talking about that appliance for months, the silver pocket watch for the maid named Olivia, and a couple more. She cares so deeply for people; it just makes Alfie proud to be the one protecting her.

Camila walks over to him with ten seconds to spare, a small plastic store brand bag in her hand which she promptly puts in her hoodie pocket. Alfie shakes his head lightly, stifling a yawn, wondering how she's so gleeful for this time in the night.

Alfie eyes her, asking with a tone of humour, "Don't you need to sleep?"

She glances over at him nervously, grabbing the shopping cart full of boxes and pushing it outside while she tells him, "I got a couple of hours. I'm fine." He doesn't take that as a good answer. Before he even gets to ask anything else, she cuts him off with a hard stare, snapping, "I'm fine."

He halts the cart with a hand next to hers on the bar, a sinking feeling in his stomach as he understands. His eyes wander to her left shoulder where just two years ago there was so much blood coming from a bullet wound he'd thought he'd lose her.

Camila rolls her shoulders—something Alfie's noticed she does when she's anxious—and she looks anywhere but at him. She never yells at him, and now she feels bad. She'd been having such a nice time, she's worried about ruining it.

"It's the nightmares, innit?" he asks softly, a concern in his eyes she'd only ever seen once before. Camila sighs quietly; she asks that they not talk about it now before she continues pushing the cart toward her car.

Alfie would stop for now. But he wants to get to the bottom of that. He may be in charge of protecting Cami physically, but he finds it his responsibility she's mentally safe as well.

•••

posted nov 02.18