eight

Today is December 15th or better known as the Fuentes Family Day. Every month, on the fifteenth, the Fuentes' has mandatory family days. Javi hasn't participated in over three years, and Franco is rarely home to really enjoy the festivities. Amalia and Camila, however, are usually caught up in it.

It's been nearly two weeks since Camila had last spoken to her mother and she wasn't looking forward to today. Alfie and Camila are still working out the kinks of their private relationship, trying to find whatever moments they can to themselves.

Camila's getting worried that someone's going to comment on how often she's been out of the house lately. But the gossiping staff around the house--all of whom now know about the eldest daughter and her bodyguard—always come up with plausible lies to share with the ever-curious Mrs. Fuentes.

At the moment, Camila lounges across her bed with her feet in her sister's lap as the younger girl paints her nails. Amalia is trying to coax Camila into apologizing to their mother.

"Okay, as badass as you were for that fight with Mom, you've gotta cool it." Amalia continues to prevent Camila from cutting in, "It's almost Christmas, Cam, we never have good Christmases anymore, and you know you'd hate to be the reason this year."

Camila nods, running her hands over her face. "I know. Just... God, she makes me so mad."

Amalia scoffs, saying, "She makes us all mad, kid." Then she pats her sister's legs, silently announcing that she's finished with the painting.

Cami sits up, leaning back on her elbows with narrowed eyes. "I'm older than you."

Lia purses her lips, asking, "But who's more mature?" Camila tosses a close-by pillow at her, laughing with her. "On to a more pressing topic... Are you seeing anyone yet?"

Camila blushes, and Amalia's practically already squealing. She holds her hands up, saying, "Kind of. Don't get too excited. It's been a couple weeks, but who knows what'll happen."

"What does Alfred think?"

Camila nods slowly, trying to contain her smile as she says, "I think he's okay with it."

"Is it a man or a woman?" Amalia asks considerately, having known for years about her sister's bisexuality. When Camila answers that it's a man, Amalia claps her hands and says, "Then you can bring him to Christmas and not have to worry about coming out to Mom."

Camila jaw drops. "Lia, did you not hear me say it's only been a couple weeks? It's too soon for that."

Amalia tries to pry for more details and Camila gives as little as possible. Even though she can't say everything, it's nice to talk with her sister about this. Lia shares that it's hers and Eleanor's four-year anniversary on the 27th and that they're planning on buying a place in Central London together. Camila is so happy for her sister and tells her to visit often once she's the last of the older kids still living with their parents.

Right then, the younger set of twins runs through Camila's bedroom door, attacking their older sisters with hugs and kisses. Kali and Issa jump on the bed, the four of them laughing the whole time. Camila picks up Issa, and Amalia grabs Kali, bringing them down the stairs for the rest of Family Day.

"Cam Cam, are you and mommy still fighting?" Issa asks quietly.

Camila pauses, not realizing that the girls could pick up on things like that. She always tries to be the best and happiest version of herself whenever the kids are around.

She shakes her head as they reach the bottom of the stairs. "No, sweetie, not today. It's Family Day."

Issa jumps out of her arms with glee, happily running over to their Dad as he walks in the door. The twins surround Martin's legs, holding him in place. Carolina walks around the corner into the foyer where the rest of the family stands.

She doesn't even glance at Camila as she says, "Come on, girls. Suzanne is going to help you make Christmas cookies." The girls cheer as they run to the kitchen. Carolina stays back a moment to tell Camila quietly, "Try to behave yourself today. Don't ruin Family Day for your sisters."

Cami is about to talk back but Martin steps between them and says, "Lia why don't you go help the girls. Camila, can I speak with you privately?"

Amalia nods, taking Carolina with her toward the kitchen while Martin and Camila go the opposite direction to the living room. "You don't trust me to fight my own battles?" Camila sasses, huffing as she leans back into the couch.

"Go easy on your mom, Cam, please," Martin asks as he falls down into the cushions beside his daughter.

"Tell her to go easy on me."

"Camila," he scolds quietly, in that 'dad' voice of his she'd otherwise make fun of.

Cami guffaws, saying, "You see the way she treats Alfie, Olivia, and everyone else who works here. You haven't changed at all these five years. She is a completely different person."

"But she's still your mother. You have to understand, she misses your brother, and it's stressing her out not knowing where he is." Camila shifts uncomfortably, and Martin eyes her suspiciously. He asks, "Do you know where Javi is?"

"Nope," she says too quickly to be believable, pursing her lips and pointedly looking away from her dad. "We wouldn't keep something like that from you."

"We?!" Martin exclaims, sitting up.

"Dammit." Camila slaps her hand against her forehead. She sits up with him, saying, "Okay, fine. Amalia, Franco, and I know where Javi is, but he's asked us not to tell you or Mom."

Martin's jaw goes slack, looking around the room to make sure his wife isn't walking in any moment. "I don't care what he said. He's our son. We deserve to know where he is."

"And he's our brother, and he made us promise." Martin goes to argue more, but Camila drops her hand onto his forearm, telling him, "He's good, Dad. He's secluded, and he's got a cat, and he's happy. Javi hated this stuff. This house and the money. He's away from it all, and he loves it."

Martin sighs, pushing his black-rimmed glasses up his nose. "Why couldn't he tell me?"

"Because you tell Mom everything," Camila says with a small smirk. "She wanted him involved with the charities and the parties, and you know how much he likes his privacy."

He pauses, saying quietly, "At least tell me what country he's in."

"Canada," she finally tells him.

"Do you speak with him often?" Camila nods. "Can you please tell him to call me?" She nods again. Martin leans forward and kisses her on the forehead. "Alright. Let's go to the kitchen, mija. The twins are going to want you to make cookies, too."

They stand and make their way there. "You aren't mad at me for not telling you about Javi sooner?"

Martin shakes his head. "All is forgiven once you apologize to your mother." Camila opens her mouth to object, but Martin says more sternly, "Apologize."

She purses her lips and nods shortly. They walk into the kitchen and Camila tugs lightly on Carolina's arm. "Can I talk to you? Civilly?" Carolina nods and follows her daughter into the dining room. "I'm sorry for shouting at you. I went too far."

Carolina nods, almost smugly. "Alright, then. Let's get back in there." That's about how all their fights resolve. Camila apologizes, and Carolina takes it, rarely reciprocating. But what is she going to do? They're family.

•••

what's this? two chapters in the same week? lol anyway it's day 21 and i only have ten thousand words but i've officially got four chapters left after this. yes, it's moving fast because it'll only be twelve chapters but whatever, i'm proud of me for almost finishing and doing it so quickly compared to my other projects. how do y'all think this is going? please please please comment, i would love to read whatever you have to say :)