Where's Your Prince Now? - Haline (Shadowhunters)

Based on this writing prompt by

Description: See prompt above. ^^^ In this story, Aline is the princess and Helen is the witch.

Warnings: Royalty AU (not really a warning I guess)

Word Count: 1250

(A/N): Hi guys! I love Haline so much and when I saw this prompt, I immediately thought that I should write a one shot on it. Helen and Aline and all other Shadowhunters characters that you recognize belong to ! Thanks so much for reading!

Helen is wide awake at four AM in the morning. Reaching for her pale blue robes, she drags herself out of bed, hoping to find a way to thwart her insomnia via a midnight, or should she say, early morning walk through her garden.

The cold air blows through her pale blond hair as she steps outside, pulling her navy blue winter cloak around her shoulders. She walks slowly towards the garden, soaking up the hazy light as the sun begins to show itself, letting the dew on the grass soak the hem of her robes.

Once she reaches the garden, Helen immediately turns toward her favorite part of the garden, her winter rose bushes, her prized gift from her faerie mother. She reached out to adjust a branch when the crack of a branch broke the stillness of the garden.

Whipping around, the young witch scanned the garden for any movement, and found it immediately near her patch of glowing moon flowers on the opposite corner of the garden. Pushing her hood up, Helen storms over to the other side of the garden, her magic crackling around her.

"Who are you?" she demands.

The person, no, girl, stands straighter at the question. The girl has a blunt cut dark hair and dark eyes nearly black in the low light. She's gorgeous.

"I am Princess Aline Penhallow of Idris." and with that, Helen's interest is stifled by title, knowing that being associated with the princess won't end well.

"I don't care if you're a princess or a peasant. What gives you the right to trespass in MY garden? And at so early a time?"

The princess looks up, meeting Helen's eyes.

"I only wished to maybe take one flower home. My own witchlight went out, so I haven't been able to see as I walk around the palace at night–"

"And yet," Helen interrupts, "you come to STEAL this flower from me, early in the morning, to keep me from seeing you, to REPLACE A WITCHLIGHT. How ironic. You replace a witchlight with a flower stolen from a witch."

The princess is reeling from this discovery, taking a step back, unknowingly crushing a small clump of witch hazel under the heel of her boot. The sight of the plant being crushed into the dirt finally made the witch's temper snap.

"YOU COME INTO MY GARDEN TO STEAL FROM ME, AND YET YOU HAVE THE AUDACITY TO DEFEND YOUR ACTIONS AND MUTILATE ONE OF MY PLANTS??? HOW DARE YOU???"

Aline is visibly shaking, and cursing herself that she hadn't brought a weapon with her.

"Where's your prince now, little princess?" Helen whispers mockingly at the girl, "There's no one to save you now, damsel in distress."

The princess is frozen in shock and fear as Helen lets her magic fly, her blue-green eyes glowing with power.

"BY THE POWER GIVEN TO ME BY THE LADY NERISSA, I CURSE YOU. NO MAN WILL EVER LOVE YOU. YOU WILL NEVER HAVE YOUR PRINCE NOR WILL YOU GAIN THE HAPPILY EVER AFTER THAT COMES WITH IT.

With that declaration, the hum of her magic ringing in her ears, the witch turns and runs back to her cottage, her dark cloak flowing behind her.

Back in the garden, Princess Aline is shocked that she is still alive. She realized the enormity of what she'd done, but suddenly, the words of the witch's curse come back to her. "No man will ever love you." She smiles and begins her walk back to the castle.

A few days later, Helen receives a letter with the royal seal. She glares daggers at the envelope and shreds it when she is within the safety of her house, leaving only a plain piece of parchment on her table. The note reads:

"I must say, you do come up with some good curses. Thankfully for me, I'm lesbian as fuck so your choice of curse was quite possibly the best you could've chosen. I'm ecstatic that I won't have any more foreign princes arriving in Idris to seek the hand of the Princess. Thanks, witch. (Do you prefer sorceress? Enchantress? Or your name that you still haven't told me? Do let me know.)

Love,

Aline"

Helen stares at the letter for ten minutes, rereading the note over and over again. How could her curse backfire on her like that? And the nerve of that girl to send a note mocking her...... She ought to give her a piece of her mind. With a contemplating smirk, Helen walks to her desk and begins writing a note to the palace.

Three days later, Helen receives a scroll from the palace notifying her about her approved audience with the princess. The blonde packs her bags and fastens a saddle to her horse's back, preparing herself for her arrival at the palace. She places herself onto the saddle and grasps the reins in her hands. With a single motion, the horse is off and galloping towards the palace looming in the distance.

Right on time, Helen uses her magic to throw the palace doors open, her eyes glowing with power. The king and queen are sitting on their thrones, every bit the composed monarchs, and the princess is lounging on her mother's right, smiling widely with a hint of a smirk on her face.

Helen plasters a polite smile on her face, dropping into a curtsy in front of Queen Jia and King Patrick.

"Welcome to Alicante Palace, Miss Blackthorn," says Queen Jia, with a benevolent smile, "Would you rather that my husband and I step out of your meeting?"

"Yes please, your majesty."

After the king and queen leave the throne room, Helen strides up to the princess' throne.

"What the fuck was that note?" Helen demands, not entirely sure what she wants to hear.

Aline only laughs and looks up from her seat, shaking her head slightly.

"I thought the note was pretty straightforward."

"Are you messing with me?"

"Only if you want me to be." says Aline, raising a flirty eyebrow.

Helen flushes a brilliant red. This isn't going the way she planned.

Aline obviously sees the effect of her words and she stands from her throne, moving close to the blonde, standing about a head shorter than the tall girl.

Helen steps backward, nearly falling off the dais. She turns and begins to head for the door, having enough of the princess for the day.

Right as she steps through the doors, a tan hand grabs her own and stops her from leaving.

The blond whips around and tries to free her hand, but the princess won't let go.

"Look... Miss Blackthorn.... I didn't mean....."

"It's nothing, your highness, I won't think anything of it."

"No wait, please."

"I have to go."

"Can I at least have a name?"

"Helen."

With a jolt, the witch pulls her hand from the princess' and slams the doors shut behind her.

Two days after the encounter, Helen receives yet another letter from the palace.

"Dear Helen,

I'm sorry for anything I could have said or done to make you uncomfortable, and am sorry for causing any sort of damage to your garden. I do, however, want to see you again. If you don't feel the same way, feel free to ignore this message and I will accept it.

Aline"

Helen smiled, her pale face flushing pink. Reaching for a piece of parchment and a quill, she began to write a note to the palace.