Prolougue

Prologue

Jessica Sherwin sat in her bed on the first of June. She had put the kids to sleep the previous night, and was awaiting the infants awful screams from across the hall. None. The computer on her lap started to feel warm against her legs, uncomfortably hot. Her finger kept hitting the refresh button, she found herself persisting out of boredom. It was summer, meaning there was no school to get to, no sports except camp, and no rush. Vacation, all I've ever wanted. They had to plan around the triathlon though, that was important. Jessica had lived in Amesille all her life. They started doing a tradition where some families in the town brought their children and participated in a triathlon or duathlon along with some other towns. But they never thought about the other towns as much as they thought about Bricksten, they were the real threat. They're fucked this year. Jessica thought to herself and smiled. The tradition was the sort where generations and generations would participate, and it was a sure way of seeing who grew up and who didn't throughout the years. Jessica could remember them doing it since she was very little. She made her closest and life long friends on those trips. Did drugs for the first time, experienced a first, and forever love there. That's why she decided to stay in Amesille. The people were great, and the community was giving. After 35 years of life, she could whole heartily say that those camping trips were some of the most fun times she has ever had, and unfortunately it wouldn't be the same as a child or teenager ever again for her, but at least she could give her children the childhood she had, and the experiences to come. Ding. They had said the email would come that night and it did. "Zach" she whispered. He didn't come. She was so excited she decided to open the email. They had been doing the triathlon at different places for many years, you could never be too reliant on one campground. Kathy Shaw has sent out the email. Dear friends and families of Amesille, our 43rd annual triathlon will be held at Maian Walters Falls State Park . She stopped suddenly, and read it three more times to make sure she wasn't hallucinating. What? They can't do this. Can they? This has to be a joke. A sick feeling rushed up from her stomach, to her head. No, I can't go. Jessica's head started to shake as she slammed her laptop screen down. She concentrated on one thing in the room, and that happened to be the dresser. I can't! It's not fair. She couldn't stop staring, every time her mind wandered onto another subject, it violently came back to the triathlon. "Did you get the email" whispered Zach on the other side of the bed. She slowly turned her head to face him as he climbed in. "No". His smile faded, turning away to take his glasses off and place them on the dresser. "Let me check my email. I highly doubt she just didn't send it". It was a lie. "Oh here it is. It's at Marian Waters- Oh my God Jess. They haven't done it there since- you know". Jessica felt tears brimming her eyes, and she didn't want to break down in front of him. Slowly standing up, she covered her mouth from wheezing too hard and ran towards the bathroom. "Jess?". There was no answer, just the sound of slight screaming and cries down the hall.