Chapter Three: Marian Walters State Park

Jessica Sherwin opened her heavy, dark circled eyes and looked around. It had to be around 12 in the afternoon at this point. Not there yet, good. If Jessica could put this trip off forever, it would be fine. Damn it Jess, you're an adult. Get over this shit. She had to realize she's a thirty five year old woman, she just had to. Marian Walters Falls State Park was established in 1947, named after the famous mathematician in Virginia. The park had an entrance, surrounded by thick trees. The park itself had four loops, all of the Amesille people were usually put on the same loop. There were multiple trails to what they called "the beach". If you took the trail from someone's campsite, you had a choice. Left was a trail that could take you to the hotel, on the other side of the lake or the entrance of the park. Right, was the beach which consisted of two volleyball nets and a paddle board renting station on the other side. The lake was a gorgeous one, that nets closed off at a certain point so you wouldn't be swimming in seaweed. There was a visible dock on the other side, but then there were just trees. Sometimes, the light would hit the thick trees and at the top, some parts would be dark and some would be light, a truly breathtaking sight. Behind the beach, there was a hill. On the top of that hill, there was an ice cream store and then a general store. After that, there were trails back to the campsites. The state park had a hotel on the other side, but not much else. The triathlon was held near the hotel. Some of the competitors slept there, they didn't want to associate with the campgrounds. There was no alcohol allowed in the park, which was a contradiction for neighborhood parents. Over all, it was a great place for biking and running. It would be a hard fall, there were many hills in which they always warn you about. They warn you now.