Chapter Five: The Entrance

Jessica Sherwin opened her eyes, it seemed as if it was only minutes after she fell back asleep. The road increasingly started to look familiar as her eyes adjusted to the light. Damn. She sat up further and heard her husband start to talk. "So Andrew, what are you excited for this weekend?" Asked Zack, trying to get a conversation going. He had never been to Marian Walters before, as he moved into Amesille a year before the last trip and wasn't fully aware of the "tradition" yet.  "What can we do there?" He asked. Maybe there would be a zip line? Or a huge playground? Maybe he would meet some new people. Andrew's thoughts were quickly cut off when his dad interrupted them. "Well there's a lake you can swim in, lots of people go there. We can go kayaking, canoeing, and we can also hike" said Zack. Andrew had always loved the woods, even if it was a grueling 90 degree heat, he found it quite tranquil. "I've never been here either, bud. It'll be fun" Zack said with pride. Jessica looked sick, she then saw the gravel road that lead to her childhood hell. She tried not to think about it, but as the car turned, she felt her stomach turn as well. The trees seemed to close in as she could still see the sky, but she knew that once they got past the check in for camping, the sky would be nothing but covered by green. Little fragments of light would shine through the thick woods, but not enough to illuminate the situation.   Jessica remembered the times her family had rode into the entrance. She would mess with her younger sister, April, while her father told them to quiet down. "Jessica you can't do that" yelled April as she laughed. Jessica took the doll and held it in the air so the girl couldn't reach. She felt proud that she could have that much power over someone. "Jessica" the girl shrieked. April lunged forward and forced the doll out of Jessica's hands. "Well I'm still three years older than you, April" said Jessica. She even had to reassure herself this. "Hey I'm eight years old, I'm close" said April, laughing. For the first time that day, Jessica smiled.