Chapter I : A New Beginning

I studied my reflection in the mirror, noticing that my outfit was decent for once. My hair is a brighter red than my brother's, and unlike Tristan's wavy hair, my hair is curly, and usually wild. But today, my hair was neat, with only a few fly-aways. The teal tank top I was wearing complimented my two different colored eyes, one sea green, the other icy blue. My maroon leggings matched my red hair, which looked much more red than orange today. I pulled my converse boots on and made sure the bus hadn't arrived yet.

"Tristan, hurry up, the bus will be here any second!" I call out to him, not seeing any sign of my brother being ready.

"I'm coming, geez! Give me a minute," he replied, hopping on one foot as he tried to tie his sneakers. His hair looked like he just got out of bed, and his tie-dye shirt was wrinkled.

"Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed? You look horrible," I said trying to figure out why everything seemed backwards.

"Just leave me alone, now let's go before we're late for school, I don't plan on getting my first tardy," he said as he pushed past me. It was as if we had switched roles, him being the unlucky one as I turned lucky.As we walked down the porch stairs, a thousand theories passed through my head and decided they were impossible. Are the gods interfering with our lives? Maybe I just coincidentally tried harder on my appearance while he tried much less. Perhaps he did just wake up on the wrong side of the bed. Is something going to happen to us because we did it wrong?

I looked up and saw my brother running towards a large yellow vehicle, and I realized I had been walking slowly. I watched as my brother tripped and fell onto asphalt.

I gaped at his scraped hands and knees, his scratched arms. I had to sprint over to both catch the  bus and to help him up. 

"What are you looking-" he started, but he couldn't finish, as I was already dragging him onto the bus.

"Glad you're not late," the bus driver smiled at us, "You alright kid? You look like you just ran a marathon."

"I'm fine," Tristan said, not looking her in the eyes. I continued down the rows of seats to the back. It felt as if hundreds of eyes were following us as we walked down the aisle, the trip feeling like hours instead of minutes. I dreaded the feeling creeping up my spine, and we both knew that there was something horrible on its way.