Preliminaries

-Akari-

-Akari-

When we opened both of our scrolls, I couldn't help but scream when Kurenai appeared. I felt like such a wimp but how could I not be terrified of this woman just appearing out of nowhere? Especially after you open a scroll they told you to originally not open. I could of sworn we were screwed. She actually congratulated us though.

I also guess she told them she wasn't sending a chunin, she wanted to be the first face we saw.

"When all of this is over, I promise I will treat you all to dinner." Kurenai smiled at us, and we all nodded at our sensei. Actual food sounded so amazing right now I could feel my stomach growl. I couldn't wait to eat.
————
Twenty two of us survived.

All ten rookies survived.

As it turned out, too many of us survived the second round. That meant that we would have to fight in a preliminary match before we could move onto the third and final round. The only catch was someone would have to go two rounds, due to there being a four man squad.

I was the first one up, and I would be going against Tenten. I sighed a little bit, she was clearly tough. I was actually sad that I would have to fight her because this could either end really well, or really bad. I noticed Tenten glancing at me, and we both gave each other a look. Any friendliness that was between us was disappearing for right now.

All the other ninja cleared out of the arena. Tenten and I stared at each other before I smiled at her. She looked a little shocked that I was actually smiling.

"After this, can we hang out sometime?" I laughed, and she stared at me in shock before she softly smiled.

"We will see how you feel after I beat you." She spoke back, and we both chuckled a little bit. The proctor gave us the signal to go.

Tenten was the first to move, and I had to admit she was fast. That's when she showed her talents, weaponry. If it wasn't for the fact I was fast, she would of hit me on point each time. I couldn't let my guard down in the slightest for this fight. I knew hand to hand combat would be better, but I had to get close enough to do that. With her blasting weapons at me every second, that was going to prove difficult. Then I remembered training.

If there was one thing Kurenai always prided me on, it was how quick I moved and how agile I actually was. All I had to do was focus, and I could easily avoid almost all of these weapons she was throwing my way. So I all I had to do was focus. I took a deep breath and began running at her, she threw shuriken, kunai, anything she could get towards me. Although my arms suffered quite a few cuts I got up to her in time to go hand to hand.

That's when things got weird for me. It was as if more chakra started flowing through my body. It was like I was borrowing chakra from someone, or something. Tenten kind of looked at me in shock, but she let her guard down. I took the opportunity to kick her backwards. I thought I had finally gotten the upper hand, but instead she just had the chance to throw more kunai at me. All of my cuts were healing almost instantly though. This caused both Tenten and I to freeze.

Something inside me snapped though. It was as if my body was being taken over. Next thing I knew, my nails were claws, and I could feel my body changing. I froze in fear I knew what was about to happen. I knew if I continued this fight then I would end up killing Tenten, I don't care if that meant becoming a chunin, I wasn't willing to kill somebody over something like this. Especially not a fellow leaf shinobi.

"I give up!" I yelled. Tenten froze and stared at me. I could hear both Kiba and Naruto yelling at me, but I couldn't make out what they were saying, "Kurenai! Kurenai please!"

I started screaming, I was going to lose control of my own body. I could feel myself losing control of my body. Kurenai, Kakashi, and Iruka sensei were all crouching down by me. The tears began falling down my face. That's when it hit me, I was weak, I was beyond weak even.. I might have so much potential to be a strong kunoichi, but I wasn't there now. I wasn't actually strong enough.

"Akari, listen to me, you're fine." Kurenai kept whispering to me, I couldn't stop crying though. I couldn't understand what was happening to me. This has happened three times now without my control.

"What am I?" I whimpered, and Kurenai carried me back up to my teammates. I crouched down on the floor, shaking slightly. I was expecting Naruto, Hinata, or Kiba to come comfort me. Instead when I felt someone lay their hand on top of mine, and I lifted my head up, I was face to face with Tenten.

"I was thinking, before we hang out, we should get to know each other more." She smiled at me, and I looked at her in shock.

"You saw what I can become right?"

"Yeah, I did, so why don't I walk with you to the infirmary, sound good?" Tenten stood up and held her hand out for me.

This girl, she just witnessed me turning into an absolute monster, yet here she was holding a hand out for me. She was offering me her friendship in front of everyone observing us. She was letting her guard down. She was showing everyone she was kind.

"But-" I went to argue but she just shook her head and kept her hand outreached, not caring at all.

"It's like you told Neji, we're from the same village that makes us comrades, now let me walk you to the infirmary so I can get back here and fill you in on everything when we meet up after all of this.. Okay?"

I looked at her hand one last time before nodding my head and letting her pull me up. That's when I noticed, Sasuke was up to fight. I kind of froze for a second then looked at Naruto who was already watching me intently.

"Akari, go okay? I'll support him for you I promise." Naruto smiled, and I blushed.

"Just make sure to make fun of him if he loses." I replied, and earned a nod in return. I then turned back towards Tenten who was waiting for me.

We both started making our way to the infirmary, not talking about the exams, not talking about what just happened, but instead talking about all of our favorite things and making plans for what we would be doing after all of this craziness was over.