Chapter Three

Cato's Pov: Two years later

"Party at my house!" Finnick yelled. It was for Clove's sixteenth birthday. Finnick was bloody rich and he already had his own big house. Clove wasn't here with us, we told her Principal Snow needed her. "Oooh, we'll be sure to come by,"a voice drawled. Of course. Delly Slutwright and her crew. They have a strange like-hatred for Clove. They try to get her in their group, but always fail. Finnick rolled his eyes, "No, friends only. No sluts allowed." We burst out laughing as Delly flipped her hair and left. We decided not to remember Clove's birthday, then surprise her. She would be happy.

On Friday we all practically ignored Clove. She didn't seemed to mind, but I saw her grimacing most of the day. She thought this was for real, that we forgot. I would never. Clove had been my best friend for the past two years. I was like her brother and she was like my sister, living a happy sibling life. She loved it. I hated it. I craved more.

On the 'Forget-Clove's-birthday- even-though-we're-secretly-throwing- her-a-party' day I got ready for it. The girls told her to meet her at Finnick's and to dress nice. I got in dark blue jeans and a white shirt with a collar. I spiked my hair and tried to look nice, even though it wouldn't matter. I was always her 'brother' and nothing more. I picked up Peeta and Katniss on the way and they spent most of the ride kissing. I groaned and reached over. "Please, stop you idiot. I'm being a third wheel up here." Peeta glared. "At least I'm an idiot with a girlfriend," he snapped back. "Oooh," Katniss crowed. I could feel heat rising up in my face. "Shut up!" I scowled. As we pulled up on the driveway everything was dead quiet. The neighbors were probably thinking, 'Wow! Finnick's house is actually quite on a Friday night! Maybe tonight I could get some decent sleep.' Not for long.

We all hid downstairs. When Clove opened it we all yelled "SURPRISE!" She looked so happy she cried. "Whose idea was this?" she asked with a big smile. We all jerked towards Katniss and Peeta and she threw her arms around them. I felt a little jealous, because I've actually thought of the idea first. I never said it because of Peeta, I didn't want him to find out that I liked her. He kept a look out for signs, like us holding hands. But that was only as brother and sister. Just like eating lunch together and playing at the park. All friends and I was sick of it. I wanted it to be a real relationship.
She threw a hug at Peeta and I laughed. "What, I don't get a hug?" I teased. She grinned. God she is beautiful. She wrapped me in her hug, and I felt tingly sparks. I was probably grinning like an idiot but oh well. Her hair was curled and tied up in a teal ribbon and she had black diamond earrings, as small as a crumb. She was wearing a teal dress with a black shiny belt. The skirt was a little wider at the bottom and she wore jingly black bracelets and chunky black heels. We all danced to music, blasted at full sound. The neighbors, even though Finnick had a huge backyard and so they live about a quarter of a mile away, could probably still hear the music blasting. I spun Clove around with our fingers, and she laughed. I could see Peeta giving us googly eye looks and I pretended not to notice. Everyone kept looking and it was getting on my nerves. Besides Clove I was the only other single person and I didn't like that. Even Johanna was with a guy named Blight.I spun Clove around once more and we decided to swim. All the girls came out in bikinis except Clove and Johanna. Katniss had red and orange, same as Peeta's swim trunks. Finnick and Annie wore teal, Madge and Gale;green and yellow, Glimmer and Marvel pink, much to his displeasure. Clove had a swim t-shirt and board shorts that were light purple. Johanna had the same but dark purple. I specifically wore purple, since all the couples wore matching colors. The guys had asked of I knew that Clove has a purple swimsuit and I played dumb. She was my girlfriend in my head. We invited Blight here to join as well as Clove's other friends, Finch and Thresh. They wore blue. Clove looked so cute and I hugged her from behind. "Hey," I whispered in her ear. I tried to throw her in but at the last second she grabbed my hands and judo-flipped me in the pool. "Hey!" I cried. I got up and started tickling her and she slapped me playfully. We were flirting and she didn't even know. I was so caught up in the moment that she leaned in, close to my face. Oooh, this is it! Her kiss on her sixteenth birthday! "Cato," she whispered dreamily. I smiled like an idiot. "Yes?" She danced her fingers along my shoulder. "I have something to tell you." My heart was beating and she whispered, "Don't tickle me!" "Huh?" I was so confused that she pushed me in the pool. I burst out to see everyone laughing. I felt my face turn red. "Man, you get distracted so easily!" Peeta laughed. Then all the guys grabbed their girls and flung them in. Except Johanna, who was clinging to the chair for dear life as five boys pulled her. She squealed and went flying in. Clove didn't have anyone and I decided to be helpful and push her in. I got up and was about to when Finnick threw her over his shoulders. She shrieked as everyone laughed. Except me. I wanted to be the one. "Up you go, Birthday Girl!" Finnick yelled. We all belted out Happy Birthday at the top of our lungs and Finnick handed her over to Peeta, then to Gale, then to Thresh, Marvel, and Blight, then FINALLY to me. She squealed and I cradled her in my arms, ignoring the wolf whistles and awwwws. "Is little Clovey scared?" I smirked. She laughed. "Yes and let go!" So I did. I flung her in the pool and jumped in. We stuffed ourselves with pizza, sang songs, and finally showered. We changed into t-shirts and pajama bottoms and played spin the bottle. I kissed Katniss and right as our lips touched Peeta pulled her away. I chuckled. "Over protective," I laughed. Marvel got Glimmer and Clove spun on Finnick. "Sorry, Annie," he told her. She shrugged. "Who cares? Just a game!" I wish I felt that way. As soon as they kissed I felt anger boiling up. I was an over protective brother, as she call it. But no. I'm a jealous guy. They pulled away quickly and after a few rounds it was my turn. Please be Clove, please be Clove! And it spun on Clove.

Ooooh what do you guys think will happen? Thank you all for reading😘