Chapter Eight

To _Daisyfaith_ and CeceFuhrman for reading and voting. It means a lot

Johanna's Pov

The minute I saw Clove I knew something was wrong. She wasn't jumpy or playful. "What's wrong?" I asked. She jerked her head up. "Huh-oh nothing! Nothing's wrong! I'm fine, gotta go, bye!" She swept her tattered black bag, the one with rainbow glitter and rushed out. Odd. Her smile was also fake.

Johanna💀: has anybody noticed Clove has been acting weird?

GlimmerGlam💕: me

AnnieBannanie🐬:^^^^

Madgey🌺: true. I didn't see her at gym, and she's always there.

KitKat🔥: yeah. She didn't answer my calls.

GlimmerGlam💕: how bout Cato?

AnnieBannanie🐬: I asked him and he seemed just as confused as we are.

KitKat🔥: Peeta hasn't seen her either and she usually stops by at the bakery for cinna buns.

Madgey🌺: and she wasn't at math

FinchyPinchy🍇: she made quick conversation then ran off.

Johanna💀: yah me to. Oh well thanks and bye

I had no idea what was wrong.

Clove'e Pov

Everything was wrong. I showed up at dance practice then disappeared where Brady made me. I needed to protect Cato from harm and so I let him do his daily slapping and kissing, though it was disgusting.

On the day of the tournament I was ready. All the girls wore black sparkly shorts, sparkly shirt, and a different color ties. Mine was mint green. My shoes were black sparkly slip on which matched my hat. I smiled seeing Cato out there, he looked so hot. My friends notice my bruises, on my legs. "What happened?" Katniss gasped. I played dumb. "Oh these bruises. Oh I tripped." They gave me confused looks but shrugged. During the dance Cato kept his eyes on me, and smiled. After I ran back and he gave me a rose. He's so sweet. "Hey, want to go out tonight?" he asked, stroking my hair. In the corner of my eye I could see Brady and I shook my head. "I'm sorry Cato. Just a little busy. Next time?" He looked disappointed but agreed. I wish my life wasn't like this. Cato deserves much better. Someone who won't blow him off. Someone who didn't keep secrets. Someone who wasn't like me.

After hard hitting he let me go and I limped home. "What happened sweety?" Mom asked. I shook my head and gave a small laugh. "Just twisted my ankle during dance. I'm sure I'll be fine." Plutarch looked convinced but mom didn't.

School was terrible. I had to keep blowing Cato off as well as my friends.

"But I got us invited to Maysilee Donner's," Finnick wailed. "It took a lot of convincing. C'mon! You hafta come! She throws epic parties!" I shook my head and fake laughed. "Sorry Finnick, I'm just busy."

If only I could tell them the truth.