chapter one.

...and i breathe through fantasies, they're the only life i've got.

"They call me Loveless."

Without moving, I answered,
"Excuse me?"

No response.
I sat inactive in the middle of the busy interstate. Today was slow, today was still and idle, languish. Then, out of my trance, a voice with an accidental song pulled me.

I looked up to find a round face with a rose tincture that scattered across her cheeks like frightened butterflies, and hair of the same shade, only a tad darker, that sat so fluidly right on her shoulders.
She invited herself closer to me, legs crossing almost childishly as she situated herself just inches above the ground.
Floating.

Sporadically, the gale would carry her hair to the left, the right, in her face, and it brought out the colour of the irises.
If alive was a colour, it would be the one of her gaze.

Alive.

Unlike me.

"Mel."
I said finally, after studying her.

I noticed that the cars and trucks passed right through her body. It wasn't unnatural, not for me . Physics behaved in the same way for the both of us.

It fell silent, and all that could be heard was humming, her voice was that of an angel.
After a while of basking in the light of her song, a white semi-truck came barreling toward us. She looked up at it with no fear, smiled at the monster as it passed through the entire right side of her body, not even scratching her perfectly flawed skin.

It made me confident, her very presence did. How she lacked fear of the things that she knew could harm her.

The sun beat down on the tall trees and hole infested leaves, creating a scintillating lime green light that danced on Loveless' swan-feathered dress.

She was beautiful.