Chapter two

"is this place taken?"

Some stranger preaches near my space with a wicker chair and I merely shrug. It has grown darker outside at the peak of the night and everyone around has already puked or made out, so the majority of the crowd is simply slugging into their alcoholic wasteland.

And I don't know how come this person is still awake. Probably, he cannot sleep in a stranger's house too.

"So... are you a life guard or something that I wasn't aware of?"

"Excuse me?" I swap my head to his side and I realize he is sitting just next to my sister's sleepy body.

He shrugs at the people lying on the ground on the either side of me.

"Hah, don't bother, it is some kind of a joke being played on me. Probably, you will be lying here too soon."

I cannot make out his features clearly in the dark but I know that he is definitely smirking at me right now the way he is silently trying to chortle.

"What are you? Some kind of a living sleeping potion?"

"Hmm, that's one to put it. If you don't want to sleep forever in my company, then you must steer clear from me, stranger."

"What makes you think I am such an easy target? I don't fall for such pesky traps. And if you may, you can call me Landon."

"And you call me... never mind."

He gives me that laugh again where he is wants to hide every bit of the reaction I am eliciting out of it but at the same time probably he wants to tease me with a spitting second of it.

In the thrill of the moment, that's how i start to read this stranger unknowingly. That is something new to me. I don't become familiar or cozy with people in minutes and specially when I am not drunk.

"That's a funny name, never mind."

"Hah, I am that not easy person too to fall into flirty traps. If you must know, one of my best friends is the most revered flirt around here and I know when and where I need to give myself away."

"Wow, wow, wow, relax, beautiful. I am not prying into who you are if you don't want to give me your name, so that's totally fine with me; in fact that gives me a chance to make the remaining few hours more interesting. I can give you a name of my own liking."

Damn.

Why didn't I think of that?

I incline towards his side sitting on my stool, feeling disturbed and disoriented by his presence.

"You talk a lot, Landon. You'll wake them up."

He gives a paused perusal at my sister and Benny before snorting and shaking his head at the way Benny is slightly snoring.

"I don't think the snorer will make up that soon, though, I cannot be sure of this one between you and me... wait a second... She has the same silhouette as yours."

"Of course, she's my twin."

"Ah, nice, so what's your game?"

"What you mean by my game?"

He voice turns huskier and slower. Maybe he listened to me for not waking up the sleepy heads. I simply can't take them home yet.

"I mean why are you here today? I have never seen you around."

"How do you know who am I? You can't see me."

"But I can hear you. I would have definitely remembered the quirkiness and the charm in your voice if I ever met you before."