21. Pain

It's been a while since Gloria has felt this. Pain, that is. Pure, aching, burning pain. She assumes it's for the best.

Still, it hurts like hell.

Ever since she arrived at Happy Days Homeless Shelter, she's been trying to get off everything she's addicted to.

She's never felt this weak and vulnerable before. She hates it more than anything.

The owner and founder is a woman named Elise, who is too nice for her own good. There are a lot of bad eggs in this place, waiting for the right moment to pounce and probably kill or rob everyone here.

But, no, she assures Gloria that it's perfectly safe here. She's only got two body guards: a silent, large... person with no face. They only wear a gas mask and bulky armor, who goes by Ray, and the other is a fake-biker girl named Ace who caught Gloria's attention from the moment she saw her.

But, she's letting her mind wander. Detoxing is a pain the ass and Gloria hates it.

The radio was playing quietly in the makeshift clinic, and Elise give the other woman a warm smile, removing the needle from her arm and covering it with a bandage and a rub over it.

"Is there... anything else you would like to tell me?" Elise asked, her accent is unlike anything Gloria's ever heard, like, French or something.

"Why do you ask me that every time I detox?" She asked.

Elise smiled even wider, if it was possible, "Communication is important for people. Even the Lone Wanderer."

Gloria snorted. She was known as many things; 101, James' Kid, Miss Hill, Vault Reject- but this was the first time she's been called her "proper" nickname on this side of the country. She didn't mind, but it did make her a little sad.

And that sadness showed on her face. Elise brushed Gloria's bangs out of her face, "I'm sorry, did I say something to offend you?" She asked, genuinely sorry. Such a thing was rare these days.

"Yeah, I just... I'm still not over it..." She looked at the floor.

"When you're ready to tell me about it, I'm always here for you," Elise rubbed her shoulder and stood up to give her some Fixer.

Gloria sighed, "I was... nineteen when my dad left the Vault."

Elise stopped what she was doing and sat next to Gloria, allowing her to continue.

"I was..." She laughed bitterly, "I was so scared. Of... everything. I spent my teen years a fucking miserable mess and I was recovering from... things. The only person that actually cared about me just fucking left me in the worst place in the world. I was so angry. And Dad just... he tried to tell me that this was for the best, that I was safe in the Vault but... God, that was a complete fucking lie. He died trying to protect... something. Whether it was me or his project, I still don't know. I like to think he did this all for me."

Gloria brushed her hair back with her fingers, and leaned back against the back of her chair, "I sacrificed myself for his work. I finally felt happy that I was going to die. I really, really did. Bu... I woke up again, two weeks later, and had to save the Capital Wasteland once again. Like... some kind of selfless heroine or some shit."

"But that makes you a hero! People love heroes!" Elise exclaimed. Gloria shook her head, "I never wanted to be a hero. I just wanted a peaceful life. Just me and some pretty girl in a shack in, fuck if I know, Maine or something, I don't care. But, nope. I just had to fly West instead of North. It was a huge mistake."

Gloria shut her mouth immediately as Ace entered, carrying a file for Elise to sign, casting a small smile at Gloria when she caught her staring. Gloria smiled back, her heart beating a million beats per second, and avoided looking at the other for the remaining time she was in there.

___

When Gloria was released from the clinic, she walked into the main room where Stacy was waiting for her.

"How was it?" Stacy asked. Gloria shrugged, "It was all right. Got a little too emotional in there."

She smiled, "That's great!"

Gloria shook her head furiously, "No, that's not great. Showing emotions means that I'm weak and I deserve to be punched in the face or somethin'."

"So," Stacy sat on the couch under the window, motioning for her to follow, "what did you talk about?"

Gloria rolled her eyes and sat in the chair across from her.

She leaned back in her chair and sighed, "Just... y'know. Stuff."

"Like...?"

Gloria sighed, "Dad... Almost spilled about Elizabeth too."

"Elizabeth who?" An unfamiliar voice sounded, and it startled the three of them.

Ray was clearly looking at Gloria, but obviously, Gloria couldn't read their face because they always wore that ridiculous gas mask. Still, it creeped the hell out of her.

"Um, Elizabeth Cruz, I think? Her real name's Rosalina, though."

Ray's head snapped to Ace, who was looking rather bored. "Tell Elise." Ray said.

"Tell her what?" Ace asked, clearly confused.

"She knows Elizabeth."

Ace's eyes widened, then she bolted straight to the clinic.

"What's going on?" Stacy asked.

Ray ignored her, and stepped out of the way as Elise came storming out of the clinic, with Ace at her heels.

She stopped in front of the two Vault rejects, hands on her hips and worry in her eyes.

"What's... going on?" Gloria asked. Elise scratched the short hair on her head, then closed her eyes, "I knew Elizabeth. She's missing."

"Really?" Stacy asked

Ace licked her lips, then looked up at the two girls, "Elizabeth used to stay here. She came here around... two and a half years ago looking for a place to stay. She got a job as a courier at the Mojave Express not too far from here, and started giving us the money she earned to help the shelter out."

Elise eyes started to water, and she quickly wiped away her tears, "She got a notice a few months ago and said that she was going to get a lot of money if she delivered this package. I didn't want her to go, but she insisted."

Ace cut in, "I went with her when she got the job to New Vegas and... she never came back."

Elise shushed the woman, "it's okay, it's not your fault, Ace."

"I hear things on the radio, about a courier that was shot in Goodsprings. Do you think that's her?" Stacy offered, which surprised Gloria. Usually, Stacy was as dumb as a brick, so it was almost unheard of for her to make the connection.

Elise nodded, "I had hope it was her. I'm just so worried..." She grabbed Gloria's hands suddenly, "Please... please, if you would... please find Genevieve Elizabeth. Please..."

Gloria blinked, a little shocked, and then licked her lips. She opened her mouth to speak, but Stacy interrupted, "Yes, of course! After everything you've done for me and Gloria, it's the least we could do."

Ace crossed her arms, "What, you send them out, but you don't send me?"

"I didn't want to lose you too!"

Ace bit her lip, uncaring that her lipstick was now smudged on her teeth, "Can I at least take them to New Vegas? I know the way."

Gloria blushed, looking at the ground. God damn it, what was with her? Why was she so flustered at the thought of travelling with Ace?

With some arguing back and forth, Elise reluctantly agreed, and gave them supplies to last them at least two weeks.

Ace hugged both Elise and Ray tightly, promising she'd bring Elizabeth back, and turned back to Gloria and Stacy, staring their new journey.