Easter Sunday

It's 10 am this fine Sunday morning in the Harris household, and people are up, hustling and bustling. 

"I didn't think Easter was such a big deal..." Noah says in awe as he watches the millions of people rush around trying to find their coats and shoes.

"Wait until you see Christmas," Jordyn chuckles to her brother.

~~~~~

Everyone eventually got out the door, and they made the church service with 5 minutes to spare. 

All the kids were very well-behaved during the service, with an occasional yawn here and there. It was actually Noah's first time to church, and Whitney believes he enjoyed it very much.

Someone who may have not enjoyed it so much though, is her wife. Ashlyn never really attended weekly service when she was a kid, so the practice was never instilled in her. 

Ashlyn started going to church with Whitney after their first year of dating. She was and still is, very nervous to attend because of her sexuality. Ash is normally very strong and inspiring when it comes to being apart of the LGBTQ+ community, but church is the one place she feels insecure. She won't even hold Whitney's hand. 

Ash is very tentatively sitting in the pew, not even looking over at Whitney. The last thing Whit would want to do is make her wife uncomfortable, but she really wanted to hold her hand. 

Church eventually ends, and everyone ushers out to their cars. Immediately after Whit and Ashlyn step out of the church doors, Ashlyn interlocks her fingers with her wife's. 

Whitney looks over at Ash reassuringly, giving a tight squeeze of affection towards their jumbled mess of fingers, wondering why she didn't try doing it while they were inside.

"You okay baby?" Whitney asks.

"Doin' just fine..." Ash replies smoothly. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'

The whole family eventually arrived home and had a wonderful Easter morning breakfast, followed by an egg hunt of course.  

By the time that dinner was finished and all the kids were in the basement watching a movie, all hell started to break loose. 

Bryce and Jonah came up a few minutes ago to ask Ashlyn to help with the movie. These 21st-century kids...they don't know how to use a DVD player!! 

"A DVD player is the simplest thing, I don't know why your 7 children don't know how to work one..." Barb says. 

Whitney looks over at her mother, unsure of whether she was joking or not.

"Barb it's perfectly fine that they don't, they are much more technologically advanced things that they know all about and you don't," Jack adds. That makes Whit feel better.

Then, all of the sudden, Barb begins to rag on Ashlyn again.

"All I'm saying is maybe you and Ashlyn should look into counseling. She put you through a lot these past few months." 

"She put me through a lot? Or you..." Whit replies sternly, obviously hurt. 

Barb stands there speechless. 

"Whitney, you're my daughter. I mean a few months ago you were crying to me saying you wanted a divorce, and know everything is just perfect again? I know Ashlyn sweetheart, she could stab you in the back at any time. 

"No. You don't know Ashlyn. For the past 17 years that we've been married not once have you tried to make conversation with her. She wants to have a relationship with you Mom, but you can't seem to let her in for Lord knows why..."