2

The chances may be slim for Maine when it comes to the audition, but she's willing to give it a shot. She's ready to do anything for her mom and sister. They were on their way to St Petersburg State University when Janeev heard her stomach grumble. She's getting worried. Maine usually dont skip a meal, hell she even eats a lot!

"Have you eaten, Maine? I didn't notice you ate anything since yesterday."

"I forgot to eat this morning and during lunch. There were so many things that ran in my mind lately, especially what the doctor told me about their condition. "

"Please don't forget to take care of yourself too. It wouldn't help your cause if your body breaks down, you know. "

"Thanks for reminding me. Let's grab something to eat, yeah? "

"How about we park by the nearest coffee shop from the uni and have our late lunch there? "

"Sounds like a good plan".

The chimes made relaxing sounds as they went in the coffee shop.

"What can I get you ladies? "

"We'll have 2 americanos, 2 granolas in mixed fruits and nuts, 1 lasagna and 1 penne pesto, please "

Janeev ordered for both of them while she went on to the farthest corner of the café with a table good for two as their spot. She followed Maine shortly after the order was placed and paid for.

As soon as Maine sat on the empty chair, someone behind her spoke gently.

"Maine, I've been looking all over for you these past couple of weeks. Are you avoiding me? "

"Oh hi, Cairo. No not at all, I was just busy with a lot of things, why? "

"You still haven't answered my question. "

"Oh, that. I don't think this is such a good timing Cai. "

"Then why are you blocking my calls?"

"Cai, I didn't. And to tell you, I don't have a phone right now. My sister borrowed my phone two weeks ago. Unfortunately, that was also the same day they got into an accident so... "

"I'm sorry, Maine. I didn't know... "

"Let's not talk about it, ok? I am here to have lunch in peace, so if you'll excuse us please, we're having our late lunch. "

"Maine please, let me take care of you. We can be good together... "

"Sorry Cai, since you're so persistent and can't wait, I better say it to you right now. I don't see my future with you. I just don't, I just cant, and I just won't", her face pleading.

His face was crestfallen seeing the determination in her eyes and the weight of her words. She doesn't want to be with him. But he's not backing down.

"Then I'll have to find another way to get to you." There goes that sinister glint in his eyes that most people didn't notice, except for Maine.

"Something wrong, Maine? ", Janeev sat across her while looking at Maine and Cairo. She can tell that her friend is tensed.

"Nothing, Jan. Cairo is just leaving, right Cai? "

"Yeah, let me leave you lovely ladies to your lunch. See you around, Maine".

As soon as Cairo was out of sight, Maine released her longheld breath.

"What was that all about? "

"You know how persistent Cai can be, Jan. He doesn't pick up on hints telling him NO. He may be gentle whenever he talks but when you hear the words he's saying, ugh!"

"So, what did you tell him? "

"I finally told him that I don't want to be with him. "

"So that explains his subtle outburst. He's acting kinda creepy. Be careful with him."

"Yeah, let's eat and get this audition over with".

They left the café as soon as they're done eating and went straight to the auditorium. There was a long line of students signing up. Seeing all those people signing up, Maine got conscious of her appearance. They're far more attractive and most probably far more talented than her.

"Hey, what's wrong? "

"I think I should back out. "

"Oh no, you won't. "

"Come on, Jan. Look at them. They all look so good without even trying. While me, well, look at me. Dark circles under my eyes, I don't have the curves. And my girls are pretty much non existent! "

"Maine, for once, just this once believe in yourself. Believe in me too when I say you do look gorgeous. You're pretty, and you have your own kind of spunk in you. Guys wouldn't want to have a date with you if you don't look good, first. You're talented. You can sing, dance, act. Hell you can even do better comedy than the rest of us. You are also fashionable. I even envy you! You got this. For your mom and sis. "

"Thanks for boosting my confidence, Jan. What would I do without you? "

"Oh, such a baby! "

They were both giggling when its already Maine's turn to sign up.