Birthday Party

Once Albert leaves the Count smiles over to me, "very good, you may be better at this than I thought. Start packing, we will leave this afternoon so that we may be in Paris by weeks end."

I nod, "yes, father."

We pack up and head to Paris that afternoon. Arriving early that evening, a few days before Albert's birthday party. When we arrive at our hotel, I fall right asleep, but I awake every now and then to see the light in the sitting room between the two bedrooms on. The next morning the Count and I head out, buying Albert a birthday present and the Count even purchasing me a dress to wear to the party, a light tan dress, with pictures of cherries spread over the fabric, and 3/4 sleeves. When we arrive at the Mondego estate, the large home is filled with people and the sound of music. When the Count and I walk in, I am holding his arm as I look around. As we walk into the main area of the house, the Count hands his cane and gloves to a young serviceman. Another man announces our arrival, "the Count of Monte Cristo and his Daughter Clara Arielle."

Shortly after the two of us walk in we hear Albert, "Count! Clara!" The two of us look up to see Albert leaning over the railing of the balcony. As Albert runs to the stairs, another man walks into his place. The man appears to be around the Count's age, with red hair, who is clearly a man of high standings.

As we approach the stairs that Albert is coming down, I release the Count's arm so that he may shake Albert's hand and places a hand on his upper arm as well, "Albert."

"Your Grace," Albert smiles before turning to me and I offer my hand. Albert kisses the back of my hand as he did at breakfast a few days earlier. "Clara," Albert then turns and I see the man who had walked up behind him earlier, "Father! May I present The Count of Monte Cristo."

The man walks over to us as if he is the best person in the world, "'tis a pleasure."

The Count smiles, "the pleasure is ours, Count Mondego. I've been looking forward to this moment for some time."

"Well, you do me much honor. When it is I who is indebted to you for the rescue of my son." Mondego grins over to me, the feeling of his eyes on me makes my skin crawl, "and who is this lovely young lady?"

The Count places a hand on my lower back, "this is Clara, my daughter."

Mondego nods and turns to a woman in a long sleek red dress, "may I present the Countess Mondego." Upon hearing her title the woman turns to us, separating herself from those she is speaking with. But when she sees the Count she freezes for a moment, "Mercedes." The woman shakes her head and approaches the Count.

"Countess," the Count greets her.

The woman stares up at the Count as if she's seen a ghost, "you would have to be a mother to truly appreciate the service you've done for my son and me. Monsieur, I shall never forget you."

The Counts chuckles, "please, Madame, it was nothing. I am sure that within a month you will not even remember our names." The Count kisses the Countess' hand, "may I steal your wife?"

Mondego looks to the Count confused, "I'm sorry?"

"For the waltz."

"Of course," Mondego nods.

Albert looks over to me, "if I may steal your daughter."

I blush as the Count looks over to me, "that would be up to Clara. She is free to choose who she dances with."

I smile up to Albert, "I'd love to dance."

Albert smiles and takes my hand, leading me to the dance floor upstairs, rather quickly, leaving the Counts and the Countess behind us. Once we are there Albert turns to me and places a hand behind his back as I place mine to my side, and he takes my other hand. The two of us begin to dance to the upbeat music. "Please don't think this rude of me, Clara. But I found that on my way back to Paris all I could think of was you."