Mondego

The next morning I am woken by Jacopo knocking on the door as he slowly opens it, "my Lady?"

I sit up in the bed and look over to Jacopo, "where is my father?"

"Um, he is out, but he would like you to join him this afternoon?"

"Join him where?"

"In leaving the country, with the Countess Mondego and her son. If that is alright with you."

I nod and smiles, "that is fantastic."

"Pack lightly my dear, then meet me at the Mondego home."

I nod, jumping out of the bed and begin packing. Only packing two bags, being a woman who had nothing when the Count found her I know that everything else here can be replaced, so I pack items of value. The dress I wore to Albert's party, my favorite pink silk dress, and a few small thinkings like this. When I load the items in the carriage I head to the Mondego Estate. When I get out of the carriage, the Countess Mondego rushes out and over to me. "Clara, we must follow the Count. I fear what he will do to your father when he finds him."

"Where do you think they've gone?"

"Your father knew about Fernand's plan to steal from his shipment and take it to the old family estate. I think they are there. Albert left a note that he was going after his father. We must hurry."

The Countess and I rush off to the old Mondego estate, which by now is ruins of what used to stand. We ride in the carriage as far as it will take us and make the rest of our way on foot. When we get there Jacopo is there and tries to stop us. But when he realizes he can't stop both of us, he hides with us behind some of the still standing walls as we watch the Count Mondego and the Count of Monte Cristo. Mondego is looking through a chest when the Count steps out, "Monte Cristo."

When the Count steps into the light, we can see that he has shaved off his facial hair and his hair looks messy and undone, "King's to you, Fernand."

"Edmond?" Mondego looks to the Count in shook, "how did you..."

"How did I escape? With difficulty. How did I plan this moment? With pleasure."

"So your whore of a daughter has taken my son and you've taken Mercedes..."

"And everything else, except for your life."

"Why are you doing this?"

"It's complicated. Let's just say it's vengeance for the life you stole from me."

The two men draw their swords and charge one another, with one swift movement the Count unarms Mondego and backs him into a wall. Mondego chuckles, "Well, I see someone has taught you the sword."

The Count holds his sword point to Mondego's throat, "how did you ever call yourself my friend?"

"We were friends, Edmond."

The Count swings the sword down, cutting Mondego's arm, "you sent me to hell! Why?!"

"Take your vengeance. But know the blood you spill is noble. Blood that will never run through your veins. You're no more a count than I am a commoner!" Mondego stands as he speaks, spitting at the Count. The Count steps forward, ready to pierce Mondego, but he stops. Mondego chuckles, "you don't have it in you."

At that moment Albert rushes in, hitting the Count's sword, breaking it in two, before aiming his sword at the Count, "touch him and I'll kill you."

The Count puts a hand up to Albert, "boy, let me explain."

"It's been explained. I spoke to Madame Villefort on the street. She told me of the trusting dupe, that my friend, the Count of Monte Cristo, and his daughter, used to get into our lives."

"Albert, listen to me."

"I will not!" Albert shouts, making sure he stays between the Count and Mondego, "forgive me for being such a fool, Father."

Mondego nods, "you were betrayed. Of course, you are forgiven."

Albert looks toward the Count, hurt, "you were my friend. I looked up to you."

Seeing this I can no longer stand by and watch the man I've come to know as my father and the man I love fighting this way. I step out of the shadows and hold up my hands, "stop this!"

Albert turns to me, "and you. I loved you!"

The Count moves between Albert and I, "there's a history here you know nothing about."

Mondego looks down toward his hands, with both men in the way I can't see what he is doing, "he loved your mother and yet she chose me, so now he intends to steal her away."

"You lie. Get out of my way," The Count tries to get past Albert again. When he does I pick up the sword he had knocked away from Mondego, handing it to him, "boy, if I have to, I will kill you. I will not stop now."

"Nor will I," Albert tightens his grip on the sword.

"So be it," the Count swings this cape at Albert, knocking him off balance and lunges.

"No!" The Countess and I shout in unison. When we do the men stop. The Countess and Jacopo step out the shadows and over to the group. The Count drops his sword when the Countess steps toward Albert, "Albert... I found the note you left explaining where you'd gone. But now I must explain something to you... where you really come from. Albert, you are the son of Edmond Dantes. The man you know as the Count of Monte Cristo."

Albert looks over to me as I look to his mother in shock. Seeing the experience of shock on my face and the Count's, Albert turns to Mondego, who simply shrugs, "well, I'm afraid it is true. You are the walking proof that your mother was as much of a whore in her younger years as she is today."

"You..." Albert drops his head for a moment, "you let me fight him?"

Mondego steps toward Albert, "didn't do much good though did it." He shoves Albert backward knocking him down.

As Albert hits the ground I rush over to him. When Mondego raises a gun, Albert sits up in front of me and I look over his shoulder. The Count moves The Countess behind him as she pleads with Mondego, "Fernand, I beg you. No more!"