Chapter 8

Breakfast the next day is a somber event. Normally when my family shares a meal we are loud and boisterous. Today it feels like there's a death in the family. In some ways maybe there has been. I'm not going to live the life that my parents have envisioned for me. I know that will take time to process but right now I'm not even sure my dad is going to accept me.

"Mrs. Handler will you be signing up for our end of summer talent show?" Riley asks taking a seat at our table.

"We will be going home tomorrow," my father says abruptly.

"Stuart we are paid up through Sunday," my mom exclaims in surprise.

"I want to beat the weekend traffic."

"I'm helping with the costumes," Laila says.

"You can stay through Sunday if you want but the rest of us are leaving."

"Are you sure you can't stay? You really don't want to miss the show," Riley pushes.

"Mom and Baby can stay with me. I'll drive them home before heading back to New York," Laila adds with a smile.

The reason my father wants to leave early is because of me. I can see that he wants to argue with Laila but keeps quiet since we are in mixed company.

"Fine we can all stay. It was just a thought," he concedes.

"Great! Baby we can use your help with props," Riley says before getting up to move on to another table.

"Now Baby and I have charades to get to," Laila says excusing us from the table.

Not giving my dad time to protest Laila pulls me from the table and out of the dining area.

"Charades?" I question as she continues to pull me.

"I'm going to charades and you are going to a dance lesson."

Smiling I give my favorite sister a hug.

"Have fun Baby and be safe. Meet me later in the west lobby."

"Thanks, Laila. Love you."

"Love you too kid."

**********************************************************************************

I find Jagger in the dance studio just as his last appointment ends. A pretty, older lady exits with a sultry smile on her face.

"See you again tomorrow, lover," she purrs not even noticing my existence. I frown at the way she is devouring my man with her eyes. Calling him my man may be a bit presumptuous but a boy can hope, right?

"See you tomorrow Mrs. Prescott."

I wonder just what kind of dance lesson she had. As I look Jagger over I don't see any signs of the two of them getting frisky but I would bet my left foot that he has slept with this woman before. That thought really hurts. I know he isn't a virgin but do you ever want to come face to face with a lover's ex-lover? Or a current one? I'm not his boyfriend. I'm leaving for school in a few weeks and will be several states away. I'm not sure what I'm expecting out of this.

"You give her a special dance lesson?" I say darkly.

"Baby, come inside." I allow Jagger to pull me into the room and close the door behind us.

"It's obvious that you have been with other people."

Jagger cups my cheek with his hand. "Yes. I have had other lovers but..."

"Have you had any lately?" I interrupt.

"No. I swear I haven't been with anyone this summer."

"This summer," I say glumly.