Chapter 1

Officer Jay Smith! NYPD, open up! Olivia commanded. Her partner was right behind her, both of their guns were drawn.

When there was no answer, Olivia yelled again, "Smith! Open up, I know you're in there."

There was the sound of a gun cocking before the response. "Detective Benson... you're with Detective Stabler, I assume." The male voice said calmly. "If you leave him behind and come in here all alone, she won't be hurt."

Olivia looked over at Elliot, who shook his head. She gave him a look that said that she didn't care what he thought.

"Jay, you're a good cop...I know it. You saved Emily Chan, I saw that, Jay. I saw what you're capable of."

"Ah, you didn't see all of it, did you Benson. Did you see what I did to Sam Kingsly? I'm sure you did, Olivia, you read my case file. "

"Think of your kids, Jay...Sabrina and Jack... think of them."

There was an uncomfortable silence for a few moments.

"They'll be fine, Olivia." He said, though his voice wavered a little.

"No they won't, Jay." Olivia retorted. "They won't be able to hear you tell them you love them anymore. They would have to live with the fact that their father was a murderer. They will think its their fault, Jay..." Olivia choked a bit before she continued, memories flooding through her. "Jay...if you hurt this girl...they will think they are murderers too."

Elliot looked at his partner with understanding in his eyes. Her head rested against the door frame as she talked, her gun was still at the ready, held tightly by both hands . For a full second she pressed her eyelids closed, as if trying to squeeze away a memory... he knew that action, that feeling, very well. He wanted to stop Olivia from talking...talking to Jay was hurting her. However he knew that the moment he spoke, Jay would break from the hesitant state Olivia had put him in.

"Jay. Open up- please. For Sabrina and Jack's sake." Olivia pleaded.

There was a few moments of silence before Smith spoke.

"Tell your partner to go across the street. Take his radio. Give him your pistol, and then you can come in. I'm watching everything."

Elliot looked at his partner and shook his head vigorously, yet Olivia looked him dead in the eyes and reached out her hand.

"El, give it to me." She said firmly."

Elliot didn't move.

She stared at him, not relenting.

"TAKE IT FROM HIM, I SAID!" Smith's voice cracked the anticipation between them. Before he could do anything, Olivia had snatched Elliot's radio and pressed her gun into his hands. "Go." She ordered.

Once Elliot reluctantly crossed the street, he watched in horror as the door opened and his partner was yanked inside. He clenched his fists in anger and fear as he saw Smith smile triumphantly as he pulled Olivia and a young girl into another room. Elliot knew that if he burst in Smith would quickly murder at least one of them.

Smith has been a good cop. He had a good reputation and a beautiful family- it was amazing and horrifying to see the effect drugs can have on a person.

Elliot turned his partner's gun in his hands. He had no radio- He couldn't call for backup. Smith could have already killed her... no. He would have heard a gunshot. What was he doing to his captives? What was he doing to Liv? Was he hurting her while Elliot was pacing across the street? Elliot was sweating, opening and closing his palms. He didn't know what to do. He was powerless, until he heard a distressed yell from the house.