A STRANGER

A boy stood by the door in the speeding wind of the train. His grip on handle tightened only to loosen. He dragged his numbed feet but suddenly, someone pulled him inside the compartment.

A young girl stood wrapping her hands tightly around his arm. He tried to shake himself out of her grip but to his surprise, she only moved closer and circled her arms more tightly around him as if it were her most precious possession. Her face was clouded by her dark-long hair. He could feel the warmth of her breath in close proximity.

"Why?..." Her soft whisper trailed off.

His tensed muscles relaxed at her soothing voice. Sensing his immobility, she lifted her head and her dark-anxious eyes met his teary-smouldering eyes. There was a clash.. not physical but of emotions. Unable to hold his tears, he pulled her in his arms for a tight hug and started crying as if she was his lost Mom..., although, he had seen more days.

An unexpected warmth filled him. Her body tensed as she was totally new to this feeling. She never had before hugged or befriended any male.

She remained frozen and they remained glued in the slapping of the wind and the hissing of the engine. Her flimsy dress got soaked by his hot tears. Her mind turned foggy, didn't know how to react in such a situation. He pulled her to his closest possible to melt his cold self.

She trembled in the warmth of his stronghold but made no effort to free herself but instead, she rested her head in his neck groove.

The train jolted and he pulled away slowly and she opened her eyes. After moments of silence, he stuttered looking down, in a heavy voice, "I lo..lost my m..Mom and Dad in an accident two days ago. They wished and I dreamt to be an IITan. Today is the last day of counseling but I am a broke both emotionally and financially. I have no purpose or courage to continue my life..." and he turned his teary face away.

Regaining her senses back and digesting his words, she reached out for his hand instinctively and holding it between her small palms, she spoke softly, "Your Ma and Papa is in you. Their Godly blood flows in you. There is no way to get separated from them. Your very existence is enough reason to live. So, you must live my friend."

They remained silent in that speeding wind until she thrust a folded-paper in his hand. He turned to face her..her beautiful eyes. He silently unfolded the paper only to find a cheque of twelve lakhs! He raised his eyebrows in confusion and looked at her questionably. She bit her lips in his intense gaze and replied looking down, "I won it as a prize from KBC reality show and I am lending it to you till you complete your engineering. Don't live in illusion as I want my investment back with interest." and she smiled at his puzzled face.

She waited but when no words left his dry throat, she turned away with a nervous smile, muttering a few words, in a low sweet tone, "take care and byee..."

He kept looking at her retreating figure, out of the train in a pure daze. Suddenly, realizing something, he ran behind her for her Name..her Address..her...
But his voice got lost in engine's whistle and she in the crowd...He kept frantically scanning the platform from the speeding train.....
And got separated by relative velocity equal to the speed of the train.

[To be continued...]