Remembrance Day Chapter 6

Everyone's heads turned back to Mr Bray, who quickly announced that all cadets were to get together in their groups and arrange themselves behind the SAS men, after putting their bags inside and wearing on any other gear necessary.

This was Alex's cue to grin evilly at K-Unit, who instantly realised what he was planning, and knowing this was his last day at the hell hole they called High School, they grinned back and waited for the havoc to start, preparing for the inevitable explanations to all the teachers.

Meanwhile, Alex dumped  his bag next to what must be K-Unit's car, hiding it under the wheel.  It was a modified jeep, it looked as if it had been armoured and had the security upgraded. Through the heavily tinted windows Alex could just make out several gun cases and files, as well as some other emergency equipment.

He reached into his bag, taking out the holsters first, securing them to his hip, back, inside his boots and other places, the lumps hidden inside his baggy and oversized uniform. Next he put the matching guns and knives in the holsters, keeping them in place using the leather straps. Finally, he added a holster on the outside of his uniform, on his left waist, identical to the 'equipment' K-Unit was wearing. In this last piece of equipment he placed his handgun, a well-used Beretta PX4 Storm, the one he normally took for missions and whenever he was allowed to carry a weapon openly, or even concealed. It was relatively lightweight, reliable, and could shoot reliably up to 50 metres. There was also a smaller version, the Beretta PX4 Storm Compact, lighter, but still just as comfortable in the hand.

Carefully, Alex places his now-empty bag back under the front passenger tyre, hiding it behind the military-grade wheel, with grips capable of handling any sort of terrain or weather. He stepped back, mentally preparing himself for walking back onto the field beside K-Unit, and having to answer Mr Brays questions, who would hopefully explain to the rest of the teachers what the situation was. He carefully entered the field through the side entrance, catching the last of Mr Brays demands that Cadets must join their groups, speaking in an altogether exhausted voice, obviously fed up of handling teenagers for months on end.

K-Unit was standing quietly behind the Headmaster, in a line but muttering and conversing under their breath. Alex slipped behind the row of teachers, joining K-Units line.

"CUBBIE! I missed you!" Eagle immediately began jumping around as soon as Alex came into view, attracting the attention of the other soldiers and inviting them to slap him on the head again, silencing him.

"Hey Cub, I heard you'll be joining us in Brecon Beacons then? Did you explain to the teachers what's going to happen because honestly I don't think I can deal with any more explanations than strictly necessary" Wolf clapped the teenager on the back, embracing him in a quick but caring hug, before looking for an answer.

Alex smirked again, and upon seeing Wolf's horrified expression, explained. "Well, I told Mr Bray that I wouldn't be attending school anymore, and I would be at a military camp, and when he asked which group, I maybe said he would find out..." Fox grinned, patting Alex on the back for his 'excellent' trouble-making skills. Meanwhile, Wolf was rolling his eyes, wondering how they were supposed to explain everything to Mr Bray without breaching the OSA (Official Secrets Act). He muttered something ever so slightly explicit under his breath, and combed his hand through his hair. He hated these situations. He could handle life-or-death moments, the adrenaline got him through, but a stressful but normal activity could get him worked up sometimes. Snake saw his reaction and comforted him, quickly asking Alex to explain to Mr Bray before the rest of the school could see the similarities in uniform.

At that moment, Mr Bray turned around to talk to K-Unit, and spotted Alex in their midst. "Alex Rider, please get back to your group, time with the soldiers will be allowed after the parade." He sounded utterly fed up, no emotion in his voice at all, and exhausted.

"Actually, Sir, the military group I have joined is actually the SAS, meaning I'm officially a member of K-Unit now, so I will be parading with them and leaving with them afterwards. I'm sorry for not telling you sooner, but I didn't know until yesterday, and details about the SAS are very highly classified, in fact, I'm the reason they allowed K-Unit to come here." Alex shuffled nervously and ducked his head down momentarily, unsettled by the idea of risking a teacher finding out about his 'career'. He continued, having forgotten to mention the multitude of weapons he was carrying visibly and hidden around his body. "Also, Sir, I have the correct weapons for the SAS unit, including a hand gun and knives, I have all the permits and licences and can prove all my previous training, and trust me, the training was extensive."

Mr Bray stood frozen, temporarily shocked by the drastic turn of events. Alex Rider, the schools 'druggie' and best academic student if it wasn't for the fact he had missed more than half the past two years, had left school to join the military? All he could do was continue as if nothing was wrong and think the whole situation through again later. "Well, um, okay, as long as you definitely have the permits, the Soldiers seem to know you so I guess I will have to let you carry on. Well, I, uh, I'll let you continue, I will talk to the other staff to let them know you're supposed to be here, and um, I'll check something when we get back, now you can continue and lead the parade." His voice shaking slightly, he walked uncertainly away to talk to the deputy headteacher, whilst Alex turned back to the group and shrugged.

"Well, that didn't go to badly." The comment was almost entirely sarcastic, it could have gone worse, but Mr Bray could have taken the news better than he did. Fox rolled his eyes and Eagle sniggered, followed by a quick slap on the back of the head.

"Hey! What was that for?!" Eagle turned to glare at Wolf, a few inches shorter than the blonde, who glared back, almost with laser eyes, piercing the soldiers soul.

A few moments and some strange looks later, the school groups began the long and painfully slow process of marching the remaining mile towards the memorial grounds. Gradually, more and more people noticed Alex's presence at the front of the procession, and the snide comments and rumours began. Some said he was being made to walk with them to stop any bad behaviour, some people said it was part of the rehabilitation process, but Tom Harris knew the truth.

Alex was leaving to join the SAS. He ignored the stupid thoughts floating round the school and focused on amounting his own mindset of focus, he was determined not to miss Alex and to ensure he was fine without the help of the defensive, older-brother like friend he had grown up with. At least he still had James, who had been a great friend of theirs for three or four years now, and although he didn't know about Alex's career, he knew that it wasn't drugs that caused his mysterious disappearances, he knew something more sinister was going on.

Meanwhile, Alex and Wolf were discussing the plan once they arrived at the memorial site. K-unit wasn't just there for the school, they were also serving as protection for the mayor of London and the other important officers who would be attending the service, as joining the school was a great cover to get them into the parade without any suspicions. The group were to stand behind the main stage, acting as security for the VIPs, to keep an eye on the crowds once everyone had arrived. Mr Bray had some knowledge of the plan to be security, but he didn't know all the details, only that K-Unit would leave them once they all arrived.

Soon however, their master plan would be spun upside down in a dramatic turn of events...

——AUTHORS NOTE——
Disclaimer: I own nothing you recognise from the Alex series it all belongs to the amazing Anthony Horowitz!

Hello! Sorry this took so long, Ive been finding it difficult to find time or inspiration to keep writing, but trust me, I'm trying! I'm hoping to publish one more chapter after this before the end of the year, so another will be along soon, if I don't forget. Thanks so much to everyone for all the support, I hope you enjoyed the chapter, I finally started the parade! Fingers crossed the next chapter will have the big surprise in, but no guarantee, I haven't written it yet!

I'm really sorry for the terrible grammar and spelling in this, I haven't had time to completely proof read it, but I write everything in my phone so there's always a chance of a mistake. Please vote, comment and share with other people! Thanks!

Word Count: 1566
Date Published: 22nd December 2018