{NINE}

{NINE}

Janet was sitting at the kitchen table with her laptop open and a handful of envelopes, she had been creating and sending out thank you cards all week to people who bought from her shop. She looked like she really enjoyed herself. A red plaid shirt hung nearly to her knees with tight black leggings, her hair up in a messy bun. It was early on Saturday morning, and I had yet to tell her about my plans tonight. She had a few sheets of fabric in front of her, she was typing away at, where ever she did on it. Normally she was in her office, which was really just the basement that she had taken over. But from time to time she liked to do her more, office like work upstairs.

We both had our own offices, mine being the spare bedroom upstairs.

"Sidney, want to drive with me to the post office tonight?" She asked, turning her body so she could easily look at me.

Janet's idea of a post office trip was going to Starbucks, sitting and chatting for twenty minutes, dropping off all her things- which takes at least another twenty minutes, By the time she would get home if I came with her, would be closer to midnight because she didn't like to leave the house until the kids were asleep, or at least Morgan.

"I would love to Jan, but I've actually got plans tonight."

"Oh?" She said, her brows raising into her bang line. "What plans?"

Here we go.

"A work friend of mine is having a going away party for a friend of his and invited me. I asked Andrew to tag along,"

"Oh, that sounds nice! You enjoy yourself. Oh, and don't forget Morgan has a PTA meeting on Thursday. I put a sticky note in your office. And you're taking Eric to the game next Saturday right?"

"Game?" I asked, leaning myself off the kitchen counter with a fresh cup of coffee as I watched my wife turn herself back around and type on her computer.

"Those tickets you won at the schools' raffle? The hockey tickets Sidney."

Oh right, two months ago Morgan's school had held a raffle to raise money for new uniforms, One of the prizes was three tickets to a hockey game to our home team. I promised Eric we would go, Janet didn't like sports and Morgan had a blowing party with her friends that night.

"Yeah, Oh yeah I remember. We're still going. I just need to find someone for that third ticket. If not, I'll just sell it at the door."

"Good idea," Janet said as she stood up and walked towards me, kissing me on the cheek as she patted me on the chest. "I hope you have fun tonight. Don't be home too late. I hate falling asleep without you."

"Don't be silly." I chuckled, kissing her forehead. "You sleep better when I'm not around anyways."

Janet sighed dramatically, nodding her head. "You're right, I love being able to stretch my legs on your side of your bed. It's my guilty pleasure."

I just laughed shaking her off and taking my coffee out of the kitchen and slipped my phone out of my pocket to read a message from my own guilty pleasure.

"Who's party is this again?" My friend Andrew asked, Andrew was an inch taller than I was, but he was far more muscular. He wore a short-sleeved plaid shirt that hugged tight to his dark-skinned body, his hair shaved close to his head. We had met when Eric was four and his daughter was on his baseball team. He was a single father who has been raising Elliot, his daughter alone since she was two and a half and his wife had left him for another man. He was a great guy. Pretty level headed. And he was one of the best guys to golf with on the weekends.

"I have no idea," I shrugged giving the bouncer a ten dollar bill. Apparently, this going away party was for a guy named Roger. But that was all I knew about him. I didn't know where he was going or why. I just knew he was Scott's friend and he wanted a big blow out.

Andrew stuck close to me as we walked through Finnley's the placed packed with people wearing every colour, hair and clothing.

This may not have been the best idea. This wasn't the place a married father of two should hang out if he didn't want to get mugged or puked on.

I was never the party type. And I never remembered Finnley's to be an over party place. But of course the last time I was here was like ten years ago and it was during the daytime.

"Sidney!" I heard someone call and looked over to see Scott weeding his way through the crowded with a big smile on his face. And for a split moment, everything seems to relax as I looked at him. This was the first time I had seen him in short sleeves, and he was hiding a lot under though suits.

Up his arms were covered in black and gray ink, words with pictures, with waves and circles. It was like a masterpiece had drawn itself onto his body. There was no way to explain the pictures that dressed his skin. It was just simply breathtaking.

"This must be your friend Andrew. Hi! I'm Scott." Scott introduced when he finally reached Andrew and I- giving his hand out to Andrew for a shake. There was something else about Scott. He was wearing thick black rimmed glasses that reminded me of Buddy Holly. His hair was it's normal messy self, but it almost had a bit of a curl to it, like he'd put a curling iron through it. As the two of them made themselves acquainted  I eye'd the bar. It was only seconds later that Scott was pulling on my arm trying to get my attention before ushing Andrew and me to a small party that was a table away from the bar.

Scott named off everybody one by one, but I had no real interest seeing as I wasn't going to see any of these people again. That was until Scott placed himself in the middle of one of the men's legs. A man wearing tight black jeans as a jean jacket, he had sunglasses on the top of his head and as Scott placed himself in between his legs, the other man put a hand on his hips.

"And this is my boyfriend Roger, the man of the hour," Scott said then clapped his hands. "Now. Who wants a drink?"

 Who wants a drink?"

1131