{TWENTY-FOUR}

{TWENTY-FOUR}

Eric and I were going to meet up at the pizza place by his school, I had offered to pick him up but he said he'd rather meet up. I guess it was for the best, if he wanted to walk out on me after everything was out in the open, then it was best I didn't take him. It would be an awkward drive home.

Home, a place I still had to go to. I had texted Janet and told her I would be to the house around 5 to talk to her, and if need be, pick things up. Those I left that last bit out. If I was smart I would have packed up things in advance and then I wouldn't need the walk of shame out of my own house.

I sat at my desk after my last client had left, finishing up the last of the paperwork before packing everything up and heading to see Eric when the door to my office opened.

I was expecting to see Jennifer or Scott walk in. Who I wasn't expecting was Janet, with her hair high on her head in a bun, tight mom jeans on and a loose sweater. She looked great, nothing like you'd expect someone who was just told their husband was into men would look.

"Jan," I stood up, but Janet just put her hand up and sat down across from me, I sat down soon after. "I wasn't expecting you."

"No, I don't say you were." She didn't sound angry, but her words were still sharp. You could see that she was hurting with the way she carried herself. Shoulders tense, fingers laced, eyes dancing around the room. "I figured it would be best if we spoke here rather then at home where the kids could hear. But I won't be too long. Eric told me you're meeting up for lunch."

I nodded, watching her, I didn't want to speak, I just wanted her to get whatever she needed off her chest.

"I wish you would have told me sooner Sidney." She started.

"I wish I knew sooner, It wasn't something I've known forever, I guess I hid it for so long that I forgot how it felt."

Janet bit her lip, "What made you come to the realization?"

I didn't know if I should tell her, this was the whole reason I had us going to Dr. Bennett, so I could avoid her finding out about Scott and destroying my office. Not that she was the type to be that angry, but people did crazy things when faced with these types of situations.

"Janet, I really don't think-"

"I already know you're seeing someone."

"You- You do?"

"You've been going out a lot, Eric told me you were in the city with a man. Then you tell me you're gay and I just put two and two together. What's his name?"

I was about to tell her, apologize and beg for forgiveness. But I didn't get the chance to when the door opened and Scott walked in holding two coffees and a big smile. "Hey, doc figured I get you a little convenience boost before meeting with Er- um. Hello." And the smile and playfulness were gone in a flash. He bit his lip looking at Janet with wide eyes.

"Janet, this is Scott. Scott this is my wife Janet." I said at I stood up, Scott looked very awkward. He looked back from Janet and I a few times. I walked over to him, taking the coffee from his hands and muttering a low thank you. "I wish I could tell you nothing has ever gone on Janet, I wish I could tell you that I want to be married to you forever, keep our family the way it is and live that all American dream that we always talked about," I said as I walked towards her, putting the coffee on my desk before kneeling down in front of her and taking both her hands in mine. "I wish I could make all your dreams come true, make me the man you deserve. But, I need to think about not just your happiness, but my own. If we kept going on the path we were, I can't tell you where I would have ended up. Calling it great timing, or faith, or whatever. But I just want to tell you that I will always love you, and I want us to be as good as friends as we always have been. I know I could pick a better place to tell you this. But if I don't tell you now, I don't know if I ever will. Janet. I love you so much, and I am so, so sorry for how things played out."