Chapter Two - Back When

「Five years ago」

  A lone little girl sat with her head in her arms, hiding herself as best that she could from the watchful eyes of her classmates. There was no teacher in sight, as it was recess and there was a choice for some students to stay inside. She was fine, until a red haired girl of a grade a year higher than that of herself walked over and grabbed her hair.

  She proceeded to yank the smaller girl's hair as the victim shrieked in pain.

  "What are you doing, sitting in my seat, loser?" Redhead asked spitefully.

  "Le— let me go! Agh! Plea— please!"

  "Ah, ah, ah, I asked you a question. Answer it."

  "This i— isn't your sea— oww!!"

Redhead resorted to using her quirk, as a small but painful cut appeared on the other child. She had the quirk Papercut, which, in all honesty was not a very significant one, but worked wonders on getting children her age and under to do her bidding.

The (h/c) haired girl started to cry as more and more cuts appeared on her arms.

"Stop it! Please, stop!!" But she had no control over the other girls actions.

"It's not like you could ever do something about it! You're just quirkless and worthless!"

More students started to join in, terrorizing her with their quirks.

"Quirkless and worthless! Quirkless and worthless!" They chanted.

Everything had stopped all at once, as the (e/c) eyed child raised her arms up and slammed them on the desk in front of her, sending a massive shockwave through the room and crushing the table like she was breaking a toothpick. The legs of the table pushed into the ground and cracked the marble flooring of the classroom.

All she could hear were the screams of the students around her as she looked at her hands which were throbbing with pain and stuck in painful directions, and proceeded to drop to her knees on the floor and cry her heart out.

She didn't care that she had finally just received her quirk, the thing she had given up on waiting for since she had been six. No, all she wanted, was just for the pain to stop. The pain of the cuts from the other students, the pain of the strained muscles in her body, the pain of the world hating her for something she had no control over, the pain of existing.

In the corner of the room, a boy with purple, unruly hair watched and realized that she, too, would most likely get accused for having a villainous quirk, just like him.

He hesitantly walked over to her and placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Hey, it's okay. You'll be alright," he explained. She jumped at his touch and the sound of his voice and curled into herself more, becoming more like an armadillo than she would care to admit.

"Do... do you want to be my friend? I know how it feels to get bullied for your quirk, or even for having no quirk. And yeah, of course I don't fully know how you feel and what your going through, but I'm here to help. Just, know that," the boy knew that she was more of a lost cause, but she surprised him by responding.

"Are you.. sure you want to be my friend? People... would.. make fun of you... so much more than they already do."

He knelt down by her and said, "Hey, who cares what those jerks think. They're all just a bunch of losers that'll never be able to grow into good heroes."

She gave a light giggle before she wiped her eyes with a conveniently placed tissue, and looked up at him, eyes puffy and red.

"Thank you, Hitoshi."

He gave her a genuine smile back.

"Of course, (Y/n)."

She knew from then on, that, maybe, some things made all those other things a little less painful.