Time of Death

Scott and I were waiting in our dad's office. Dad was on the phone and Scott was clearly listening in on the conversation.

"Thanks for waiting I know it's late" he said as he came out of the office.

"It's okay" Scott said.

"It's not like we're gonna be going to school tomorrow anyway" I added.

"Well unfortunately I'm gonna have to drive back to San Francisco tonight. Um, I need to do a review at the field office but I'll be back as soon as I can" Dad said. Scott and I nodded. Dad opened his mouth to speak again and a sigh came out. "I might have to miss the first game of the season" he said.

"It's no big deal"

"Well it is to me. I'm keeping my promise this time" Scott smiled but it faded when he looked down at thw bullets dad was holding as evidence.

"What I did, it was necessary" Dad said when he saw Scott's face. "Justifiable. You know that, right?" He looked between both of us.

"Have you...done it before?" I piped up.

Dad nodded. "Two other times" he admitted. "It's not easy, taking a man's life" he added. "Even if someone forces you to do it"

"How do you deal with it?" Scott asked.

"You look at it logically. Without a emotion you, uh, you compartmentalise"

"How do you do that?"

"I used to do it by drinking" Dad chuckled a little. Scott and I looked up at him. "Come here" he pulled us both into a hug.

When he pulled away he looked between us both. "One more thing" he said. "When I do come back, we have to talk about some stuff" he paused. Scott and I's smiles faded. "Both of you and your friends. The way you guys handle things, it doesn't seem to phase you like it should" I pulled my best confused expression but it probably wasn't very convincing. "It's like you guys know something I don't" he said. I bit my lip. "When I get back, I'd like to be in the know" Scott and I exchanged glances but both nodded. Dad put an arm around both of us and then we left the building.

~

I set my laptop down on the table and looked at Liam, Scott, Stiles and Kira. "Is three going to be enough?" I asked.

"Depends on how many cameras they have. But I think so" Stiles replied.

"Are we really doing this?" Liam asked nervously. He, obviously, hasn't been involved with some of the crazy shit we've done previously so this was all a little new to him.

"We're doing it" Scott said. "Tonight"

"Isn't it kinda dangerous?" Liam asked.

"Yeah it's incredibly dangerous" Stiles answered.

"And borderline idiotic" I added.

"You guys done something like this before?" Liam questioned.

"Something dangerous or something idiotic?"

"I think it's yes to both" I said.

"You don't have to be part of it if you don't want too" Scott said to Liam. He then looked at me. "You either"

"I'm not scared"

"Neither am I" I crossed my arms.

"Well then you're both borderline idiotic" Stiles said clapping a hand on both of our shoulders. I rolled my eyes. "If we do this, we don't know what's coming for us. You know that right?" Stiles looked at my brother who gave a small nod.