A Promise to the Dead

"Hey, sorry we're back so late" Scott said as we entered our house.

"I was closing up the Animal Clinic and then picked Becca up from her date. I got more hours to earn a little extra..." Scott trailed off noticing something. Mom turned around and I saw Garrett's bag on the table. "Money" Scott finished.

"How much more did you need?"

"This is payment from the deadpool I-I found it in Garrett's locker"

"This belongs to Derek?"

My brother and I nodded.

"So you're just keeping it safe for him in a gym bag underneath your bed?" Scott and I didn't answer as mom looked between us. "How long have you had it?"

"Too long" I answered.

"You know you have to give it back"

"We were going to" Scott said.

"Do I want to know why you haven't?"

I bit my lip and looked at Scott, waiting for him to answer. "Because of you"

"Me?" she frowned. Then she sighed. "You mean because we've been struggling a little?"

"Mom, we're struggling a lot" I pointed out.

"You can save people's lives. But you can't save them from life. Life is full of struggles" Mom said.

"But it doesn't have to be"

"Honey-"

Scott cut her off. "Do you know what one of these can do" he held up one thousand. "This gets us a new roof"

I picked one up. "And this pays for Stiles' MRI"

"This pays for Eichen house" Scott picked up one more. "And this one means you don't have to work the double shift at the hospital and come home totally exhausted"

Mom dug through the bag. "What about this one" She handed Scott some money which had blood stains coating it.

I felt sick and had too look away. The fact that the blood on there could have been Scott's, Liam's or even Lydia's made me want to vomit.

"I'll give it back to him tomorrow morning" Scott promised, placing a hand on my shoulder and guiding me away from the room. Once we were at the bottom of the stairs I turned around and engulfed him into a massive hug.

"We're safe now Becca. It's okay, no more bloodshed"

"It's not over Scott" I told him. "I know it's not over"

He sighed. "Don't worry about Kate or the berserkers. They won't touch you"

"It's not just me I'm worried about, Scott. What about you?"

"I'll be fine. I can take care of myself"

"If anything ever happened-"

"Don't think like that. I will never leave you and mom. I promise"

"Don't make promises" I swallowed the lump in my throat. My voice was barley above a whisper when I spoke again. "Never make promises" I kissed his cheek and then turned to go upstairs before he noticed the tears in my eyes.

I wish Allison was still here.

~

"That's a lot of weight" Mason said to Liam.

"I'm trying to get ready for the game tomorrow"

"You need a spot?" Mason asked, totally not convinced that Liam could lift that amount of weight.