The Great Gatsby: Jay Gatsby

Will you be like Gatsby?

Character: Jay Gatsby
Movie: The Great Gatsby (2013)

Traits:
Optimistic | Ambitious | Mysterious

Character Review:
A person who always sees he can and must do it all to get what he desires. Jay Gatsby's real identity is unknown to many, as a result, he's being judged. He became obsessed with the idea of a girl from his past, Daisy Buchanan, believing he can repeat the past which seemed out of reach in their situation. For him, ignorance is bliss. What makes Gatsby great is his unceasing hope and supreme ambition in spite of the limitation of a man.

Favorite Scene:
Nick's Tea Invitation (The First Meeting)
Although known as the mysterious, respected, and wealthy Jay Gatsby, in this scene, it shows how Gatsby looked like an awkward school-kid who's trapped in situations like meeting your ex-lover after five long years. It's like god-likes do have awkward moments, too. But the most notable part of this scene is how Gatsby really cared for how Daisy would have felt if he didn't show up.

Evaluation:
Jay Gatsby is a great role model for those who need infinite grit to go forward endlessly in life -- using dissatisfaction in being poor as a motivation to go further through hard work. Despite of being judged because of his unknown personality and source of wealth & status, he's still focused on his goal -- believing he could tightly grip his dream.

Jay Gatsby's green light is his never-ending hope that he can be able to achieve his dream -- Daisy.

What's yours?

[Visit us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/thegreenlight.ph and be featured through writing your (movie, tv series, anime, theater, and novel) character analysis.

Together let's aim to deliver realizations to the masses by encouraging them to be understanding of different personalities.]