Chapter 9: Goodbye

When I awoke, I was struck with all different emotions. I was very excited to venture out in a new place, but also sad because I would miss Michael and my parents. I got up and took a shower, then began to finish getting ready. Once I'm ready, I walk down to my parents sitting at the dining table with breakfast served. I sit down beside them and they give me a whole lecture on being safe and responsible. They also tell me how proud they are that I'm doing this. They offer to drive me to the airport, but I told them Michael is on his way.

I can hear a knocking on the door and realize it's Michael. I hug both of my parents goodbye and we exchange the "miss you's" and "love you's". I grab my bags and open the door to see Michael standing looking down but soon look up at the sound of the door. He gives me a huge smile and takes a good portion of my bags.

"You ready?" He asks me.

"I think so."

We get in the car and he turns to face me sitting in the passenger seat and leans forward to place a sweet kiss on my lips. I'm going to miss the taste of his lips and the scent of his cologne. He starts the car but before he starts to drive, he pulls two hoodies from the backseat and playfully throws them at me.

"I just want you to remember what I smell like."

He puts his hand over his forehead and eyes and turns red.

"That sounds so stupid."

"No, I'm so thankful for this."

Before he could say anything else, I started to pull one of his hoodies over my head. He stares at me in awe but then turns to drive. Fifteen minutes into the car ride, I look out the window and watch the scenery pass by. While watching everything outside, I begin hearing sniffling. I move my gaze from the window and onto Michael, and can see tears coming down his face. He slowly wipes his cheeks continuously before setting his hand down on his thigh. Once he does so, I grab his hand and interlock my fingers with his. I bring his hand up to my lips and kiss his hand. He looks over at me for a second and smiles before quickly looking away, still sniffling.

Once we arrive to the airport, we get out of the car and he takes my things out of the car, carrying it inside. With a few extra minutes to spare, we stand in the airport holding both of each of our hands. He looks down at me, and all he can do is smile. I see tears welling up in his eyes again and I wipe one away.

"I'm going to miss you so much, Y/n."

"I know Michael, I'm going to miss you too." Tears start forming in my eyes, too.

"You're the only reason I want to get up in the morning, but knowing I won't see you everyday makes my heart ache."

He places his forehead on mine, pulling me close.

"I love you so much," he mumbles.

"I love you too."

As we stand there, I hear my flight number being called. A tear runs down my cheek and he tells me everything will be okay and to call him when I land. He pulls me into one last hug and I walk down to the plane.

Once i'm situated in the plane, I sit down and go on my phone. I scroll through my photos of Michael and smile, then lock my phone and fall asleep.

When I land, I immediately open Michael's contact and call him.

"Hello?" I hear him say, his voice sounds cracked.

"Hi, I landed safe and sound."

"I'm so thankful."

"Are you okay?" I ask him.

"I'm okay. Just miss you like crazy already."

"I know, I miss you too. Hearing your voice is great, but not enough. We have to start getting used to this though."

"It's going to be one hell of a ride." He says with a chuckle.

"Hey, I better get going now. I need to find where I'm staying for the night. Maybe I'll call you tomorrow morning?"

"That sounds good."

After we say our goodbyes, I hang up and start walking to meet up with the foreign family I'll be staying with.