History

Bang!

Lesley Vance heard the gunfire ten feet away from her. She wasn't really sure but she assumed it was ten feet judging by the loud sound it made that resonated on the area.

She wanted to scream and look back but she can't keep her eyes away from what's more important. Running away her evening, her legs are both aching, pleading to stop yet, the premonition of danger is getting stronger.

They stopped at some point, because of distraction that she knew damn well what... Or who. She went on continuously, with no direction. An escape plan is badly in need at this moment but she barely had time to think about it to begin with. Gusion can only hold those soldiers for a short moment and that moment equivalents to his life though she hope he could somehow escape, like he always does. That's his forte anyway.

Bang! Bang!

There it goes again. But this time, Lesley knew, her hope has fallen.

If only she had her rifle with her, things wouldn't be this hard. Instead, she's carrying something else. As her tears dropped, she looked down at the baby in her arms. The tiny angel stares at her curiously, her innocent eyes must be wondering why her mother is crying. Dainty fingers trying to reach her mommy's face.

“My treasure..” she mumbled between panting, “Now, it's only the two of us. I... Will protect you no matter what.”

She reached the city's boundary by the time the stars shined amidst a moonless sky. The footsteps had oddly disappeared, making her keenly aware of her surrounding. For a moment, she hesitated. The wide forest in front of her doesn't seem very inviting.

Rumors has it that wolves rules in the jungle and no man has ever made it back alive when they get in. Setting foot into this place sounded like having a death wish.

But who has a choice? Certainly at this moment, she isn't the one. Her vision begins to swirl, she's wounded and lost a good amount of blood. Surely those soldiers will be able to trace her soon. Did she made it this far just to pass out and wake up on the mansion again?

Her baby's cute face is like an image drowning in water. It was her mind that's having a problem. She wanted a good future for her daughter and stepping into the jungle will only mean death for the two of them. Gusion is dead, she can't lose her daughter after him.

When reality finally dawns on her, her knees felt weak and at last, given up on her. She stumbled on the ground yet gripping her baby to safety.

“I'm sorry, love.” were the words that left her lips as the sound of breaking dried twigs on the ground and leaves rustling broke the silence. Muttering and whispering, she can't hear them clearly as her mind starts going in a haze.

She closed her eyes, perhaps, things wouldn't be this chaotic in her dream..

***

SILVER LINING 2018-2019
all rights reserved
-noblesse