Ch.66: Then we will see the vampire (vampire)

After a late shift at the Doublemeat Palace, Buffy and I were dragging our feet home. We weren't really in the mood for anything, especially Buffy since she had to scrape the grease off of the grills. Hell, one vampire even refused to fight Buffy once he caught a whiff of her after work.

  Going up the steps to the house, I paused and told Buffy to go on ahead. She glanced over her shoulder at me but didn't question it. After the incident when we were all trapped in the house, she figured I just needed fresh air and open space from time to time. She had yet to even ask about it, but I had a feeling she didn't really want to know what could make me act that way.

  "For Pete's sake, Spike." I turned on my heel while looking at the large tree in front of the house.

  "Ah, it's a fair caught. You caught me, Aud." The blond vampire came around the side of the tree with a smirk on his face. "However, in all honesty, I think I have to say this one doesn't count." He dropped his hand to his side and looked at me. "After all, I wasn't exactly hiding."

  "No, Spike." I immediately said, seeing the look on his face, seeming as if he was going to ask something.

  "No? What kind of answer is that? You haven't even heard the question yet." Spike replied while walking up to me. He was slow and deliberate in the way he moved.

  "I don't have to. We both know what you're thinking." I told him, and he got this smile on his face as he looked down at me.

  "We both know?" He stepped closer while playing with the chain of my necklace. "Then I'm not the only one thinking it." Spike said and bit his lower lip.

  "No. Not here." I grabbed his hand to make him let go of my necklace while taking a step back.

  "Why not?" He sort of pouted, and I mentally rolled my eyes at his expression.

  "Dawn and Buffy." Glancing toward the house, I waved a hand. "They are waiting on me inside, and I'm not going to let them down by letting you in."

  "So it's the fear of getting caught then, is it?"

  "Reason number one on a very long list." I replied while slipping my hands into my back pockets.

  "Then it can be an obstacle." Spike grabbed my wrist and started to lead me away from the front porch steps.

  "Spike, I mean it, come on." Sighing, I glanced back at the front door.

  "I hear you're serious, but so am I." He didn't stop walking until we were out of view from the front door. "I want you, you want me." My back leaned against the large tree. "I can't go inside, so...." The vampire glanced over his shoulder at the house. "maybe the time is right for you to come outside." Spike looked down at me with a slight smile as I sighed. Giving one more look at the house, I caved, and Spike leaned down to kiss me.

~

  Quietly sneaking into the house, I was biting my lower lip while trying to silently shut the front door. Walking to the kitchen for a quick bite, I froze in the doorway when I saw Willow, Buffy, and Dawn standing around the island.

  "About time you came in." Buffy looked over at me. "You okay?"

  "Uh, yeah, why?" I crossed my arms while shifting my weight on my feet.

  "You were out there a while, plus you have leaves in your hair." The Slayer pointed at my head. Clearing my throat, I reached up and brushed the leaves away.

  "Thought I'd just take a bit of a breather and plopped down in the grass for a bit." It felt horrible to lie to them but there was no way I could tell them what I had actually just done.