Here It Is!

The Howl and the Moon

By: Aivalyn Couillard

Aftermath of "The Dark Secret"

Prologue

Welcome back, faithful readers. If you remember the previous story, you will remember the adventure that our characters, Diana Delilah and Mary Ann, went on, then you will remember how Diana got taken over by an evil force, and Mary Ann searched frantically for her one and only friend, aided by a mysterious voice, and managed to find both Diana and a new friend, named Fearless, a giant snake, and the two girls protector. Now, we continue on, to find what became of Mary Ann when she streaked off into the night, looking quite wolfish. Let's follow her into the night, and through the wild woods of Praeilsville, where many dangers lurk, but none more dangerous than the new queen, sitting above all others, ruler of all in the forest. Welcome to the world of...

Howlton Woods

Home of the wildest things on planet Htrae

Whoosh! A bush rustled as a creature rushed by, in quite a hurry, snagging its coat on a pricker bush, yelping in alarm. A larger animal pushed silently out of the bushes, stalking up to the first creature, getting ready to pounce. The first creature sensed rather than heard the large animal behind it. The first creature turned, snarling at the larger animal, advancing with silent footsteps. The glint in its eyes was so mean and commanding, the larger animal backed down, bowing to its new leader. The first creature stood tall and proud, tail high.

The moon shone brightly down, just emerged from the clouds, to reveal the true identity of the new queen: Mary Ann!

She ran through silently; head, low; ears, flat to her head; eyes, slits; tail, level with the forest floor, creeping up on the old leader. She was so silent, the old leader didn't smell or hear her until it was too late: the old leader was defeated! Mary Ann took her place on the throne and barked orders for hunting and patrols.

Meanwhile, back with Diana and Fearless, Diana woke up, stretched, and immediately knew something was wrong.

"FEARLESS?!" she shouted, hurrying into the kitchen, relieved to find the large snake coiled up on the floor. She rested her hand on his scaly skin, and he woke, eyes sliding open calmly. He sensed there was something wrong, and his pupils immediately dilated, nostrils flaring, and he slithered to the door, glancing back to make sure that Diana was following, and BANG! slithered right into the wall!

He collapsed, unconscious, and Diana crouched beside him, stroking his scales gently. He slowly lifted his head, eyes closed, and slithered forward once more, right through the door! Diana sat stunned for a second, then darted out the door to follow. When she caught up, Fearless was awake, alert, and ready to find Mary Ann, for that was what was wrong.

Come, Diana, let us hurry.

We might be too late,

But we have to try.

We must find Mary Ann

In the wild forest,

The Howlton Woods.

"The H-howlton Woods? A-are you sure?" Diana's voice wavered, and she almost yipped like a dog. Fearless dipped his head slightly, blinking slowly, and then stared ahead, eyes dark and foreboding. Diana glanced up, eyes widening, for she was unaware that she had been walking for so long, and she was surprised to find them outside of the Howlton Woods!