three

savannah's pov +

i came through the front door and could hear a lot of movement in the kitchen and an aroma of cooking food in the air.

"savs, is that you?" jack called out when i closed the door.

"yeah, you're back early" i walked into the kitchen and took off my coat before placing it on one of the island chairs.

"finished all of my paper work and articles, so i thought i'd make a start on dinner" jack replied whilst stirring a cooking pot.

"smells nice, what is chef jack making for us?" i asked, carring ethan onto his chair.

"spaghetti bolognese" jack sang, flashing us both a smile.

i hummed with awe alongside ethan who banged against his table with his little hands with joy.

"yay! cheese!" he exclaimed.

"yes, we'll put lots of cheese" jack came over to our son and started to tickle him, making him roar with laughter. "lots and lots and lots of it".

jack finished with a kiss on ethan's head then turned his attention to me.

"how was work baby?" he inquired.

"okay, you?".

"good" he said. "yours was just okay?".

i shrugged and rested against the counter beside him as he continued to prepare dinner, "yeah, nothing new".

"so have you invited more people to ethan's birthday party?" jack wondered.

"yeah i've just about finished - just need to ask a few more moms from his class".

"is max coming to my birthday?" ethan questioned, making me choke on the sip of water that i took. i coughed to play it off and gave a brief smile to jack.

he chuckled, "who's max?".

"mommy's friend" ethan continued, focusing deeply on the new drawing he was making.

"mommy's friend?" jack repeated with furrowed brows and a smirk of oblivion to what our son was talking about.

"he gave me a high five!".

"what's he talking about savs?".

i shook my head and moved uncomfortably, "nothing, it's just this game we played in the car ride home".

jack's smile faded as he noticed my tense body language.

"savannah" he neared closer to me and i couldn't help but look him in the eyes with guilt.

at this point, i just couldn't lie to him anymore.

"he's back, jack" i whispered. "max's is out of prison".

jack's eyes fell into worry, before anger quickly took over him and his jaw clenched together. he rubbed his stubble and took a small step back from me.

"jack-".

"ethan, can you go to your room for me please?" he cut me off.