six

savannah's pov +

after the stress of planning ethan's party and then the clean up, it was the next day and i decided to do a little work at home for a calmer environment on monday tomorrow.

but i knew it was a mistake since it meant i could take work calls as if i was in my office, and now every second, i'm taking a new call about this fashion designer, or this error in next week's runway show.

the doorbell rang and a knock followed after that wasn't helping the headache that i was gaining right now.

when i answered, i rolled my eyes at who stood before me.

"sorry to bother you, savannah" max stuffed his hands into his trouser pockets. "how are you?".

"stressed and you're not making it any better" i responded.

he let out a small laugh, "whenever you used to say you were stressed, i could just surprise you with your special latte at starbucks and you'd get the biggest smile on your face - it was adorable".

i frowned at his attempt for us to reminisce, then sternly folded my arms across my chest, "what do you want?".

"oh, uh, my niece - she left her jacket here after ethan's party. jane called you about it" he explained.

i sighed, "yeah, it's—" interrupting my words, my phone rang in my hand, signalling a call from work that i wouldn't be able to handle right now.

i pushed my hair back and groaned lightly.

"if you're busy, i can just go and find it" he offered.

"no, i'll get it" i firmly told him. "you just stay out here".

i made my way upstairs to the guest room where there were a few remaining jackets from the party yesterday. i found the little pink one with flowers embroidered all over it since that's what skylar's mom described it as.

before going downstairs, i decided to check on ethan who was supposed to be playing in his room.

"hey eth—" i paused when i didn't see him playing make beliece in the middle of his room like he usually does.

i entered the room further, looking around it more, "ethan?".

the room was completely empty but my will to panic was being held back because he could have easily wondered around the house.

"ethan? where are you?" i walked along the hallway, calling his name. i had checked every upstairs room, so i hurried downstairs with a small panic in my chest, hoping that he'd be down here.

finally, i heard voices in the living room and walked in to see max crouched down and talking to my son who was showcasing all of his new toys.

i subtly let out the panic i was holding with a deep breath.

"ethan, honey, i thought you were in your room playing" i questioned.

"i'm with max, mommy" he explained.

"yeah, i can see that" i glared straight at max before handing him the jacket. "here".

i guided him out of the room and back towards the front door.

"i thought i told you to stay outside" i heatedly recalled.

"ethan saw me, he just wanted to say hi savannah. that's all".

"where are you going?" ethan followed us and tugged on my leg.

"uh, max has to go now, sweetie" i smoothed down his hair.