Chapter 16- The Fellowship Reunited

-Aragorn-

It had been almost a week since the Men of the West had taken a stand against Sauron outside the Gates of Mordor. I had been there when Mount Doom erupted and spilled out the molten lava across the Plains of Gorgoroth. I recall the cheers and cries of victory that suddenly turned into screams of sorrow- for fear of losing Frodo and Sam had fallen upon us.

I remember watching helplessly as my sister roared in anger: "You promised no danger would come to them! Save the Hobbits! Save the Hobbits and take me instead!"

"Rayel?" I turned to her in shock. I didn't know who she was yelling at, but I had a good idea.

Melkor.

At that moment, I watched in horror as she fell to the ground, limp and lifeless.

I shook the memory from my mind, remembering how I had cradled her broken and bruised body while Gandalf and several Eagles had flown off to retrieve the Hobbits. I recalled the look of anguish and concern on Legolas' face as he hurried to her side, beating me by mere seconds.

Legolas held her limp body in his arms as her head tilted back to reveal her long, wavy auburn hair and the delicate features of her face. Despite the dirt, blood, bruises, and swelling, she was as beautiful as ever.

She was my sister.

"Aragorn?" The voice shook the images from my head as I snapped back into reality.

I was no longer on the battlefield.

I was in Minas Tirith, the City of Kings. The White City- my ancestors' home.

"Yes?" I turned my head in the direction of the threshold where Brendawyn stood.

The Elleth's long hair had been unbraided and now cascaded freely down her back like a golden waterfall. She wore a loose green dress and simple brown slippers. "How is your sister?" She asked softly.

My gaze shifted down at the bed before me, where Rayel's lifeless form slept. "She hasn't awakened, nor has she stirred since arriving back in Gondor."

"Do not lose hope, Elessär," she smiled, placing a soft and reassuring hand on my shoulder. "The Valar knows what is to become of this." A small smile crossed her lips when she spotted the familiar and worried silhouette of Legolas outside on the veranda. "Has he been here all this time?"

"Yes," I confessed, rubbing my chin and feeling the amount of growth that had occurred since the last time I shaved. When had it been? Back in Bree? No, it had to have been more recent than that. Maybe Helms Deep? "He will not leave her side," I stated, shaking the thought from my head.

"They have bonded- the two of them," Brendawyn smiled as she brought her hand to Rayel's face, pushing the loose strands of hair from her cheeks. "The Divines have bound their very heartstrings- for love this deep does not happen overnight."

Rayel's side had been cleaned, stitched and wrapped- somewhere during our stand, she had been impaled by a splintered spear shaft that splintered into countless pieces and embedded themselves in her flesh. It had taken hours to retrieve every piece of wood from her side- yet she slept through the whole thing. I was grateful for once not to have her fight against me while trying to heal her.

Her once flawless and ivory skin was tan and scarred from our countless battles along the way. I realized now that almost every one of her wounds was acquired while she had been protecting myself or one of the Hobbits. A tremendous and unfathomable weight was once again placed on my shoulders, and I choked out: "This is all my fault."