Chapter 8

After we got engaged, things really escalated between us. Our families became really close and my parents tried to involve Gautham in any occasion as much as they could.

Now there was only three months left for my marriage and my family had decided to book the marriage hall today. Generally, I will be taken along anywhere my parents go. However, recently my parents have been hell bent on me not leaving the house. Hence, me staying home alone almost every single day after returning from office.

Though they did not take me along, I knew the name of the marriage hall and hence decided to google it once my parents left.

Additionally I had no issues staying alone on a Sunday morning because I can finally have the house all to myself.

Half an hour later, my parents left and I suddenly found an inspiration to cook. Here is the thing, I am not great at traditional cooking but I am really good at making the recipes you find on BuzzFeed tasty and all.

After browsing through those mouth watering recipes, my stomach began to growl and I started feeling the urge to eat immediately. The feeling of laziness overcame my inspiration to cook and that is the story of how I spent the next five minutes cooking Maggi.

Transferring the noodles into my plate, I drop on the couch browsing through various channels. So many channels, so less shows.

I called Ananya to pass time. We spoke for quite some time until her mother called her to help her with cooking something in the kitchen. After Ananya had disconnected the call, I started feeling bored. I was contemplating whether to call Gautham or not and then decided against it because I did not want to look desperate in his eyes.

I finally drag myself to my room and then decide to bath. Bathing and sleeping are my two heavens. I will never feel the happiness that bathing and sleeping gives me in any other aspect of life.

That is how exactly the next one hour goes; bathing, daydreaming and singing.

By the time I feel hungry, I hear a knock at my door and open it only to find that my parents have already returned. They had some pamphlets in their hands about which I had no idea.

My Mom informed me that she will change her dress and come and then we all could eat. She comes sooner than I expected her to and I stand up in order to set the dishes in the table.

The table is set, the dishes are served and we all begin to dig into our food.

"Neha, we both wanted to talk to you about something." My Mom informs me as she passes a bowl to my Dad.

"Hmm?" I ask then wondering what this conversation is about.

"We think you should resign your job now." My mother tells me casually.

"But why?" I ask them.

"See, there is only three more months left for your marriage. We will have lots of customs around now. Plus, after marriage, you cannot start working immediately. You will definitely need some time to settle around there. Then you have to take care of your new family. Only after you learn to manage that, you will be able to start working. So use this as a 'break'."

"Is Gautham going to resign too, now that we are getting married?" I asked the two of them, getting a little furious.

"No."

"Then why should I alone leave my job? If his career is important, then so is mine. Of course it is going to take time to settle down but I have to make things work. If I take a six-month 'break' it will have a very huge effect on my career. Finding job later is going to be a huge task. I hate working but I love independent. If working is the only way for me to stay independent, then I am ready and willing to do it at any cost." I tell them.

"That is okay. But do you think your office is going to keep granting you leave every other week?" My dad asked me.

"Why not? I will talk to my head. I will explain to him about my situation. I will also let him know that if he denies my request for leave, I will be moving on to another firm." I tell them, shrugging at the end to add a little effect.

"Fine, if that is what you want." My Mom told me and got up from the table.

Almost immediately, I got a call from Gautham and I too, stood up from the table to clear the dishes and talk to him.