Chapter 9

Today, me and Gautham had made plans to go and watch a movie. He asked me if I had any options in mind about what movie to pick. I am a huge cinema fan. So, I told him to pick any movie he wants and assured him that I will be fine watching any movie. He asked me again if it is okay if he picked the movie to which I replied with a 'yes'.

Standing in front of the mirror, I pick up the pair of red earrings that went really well with the white chudi I decided to wear.

It did not take me long to get ready as I am usually not the one who goes for make up except during unavoidable situations. He texted me letting me know that he would arrive here in another ten minutes. With that information being received, I keep my hand bag ready and tuck my phone into it.

Surprisingly, true to his words, he arrived here within the ten minutes he had assured he would. He chats up with my parents for some time after which my parents ask us to leave seeing it was getting late for the movie.

We got into the car and rode off. Gautham kept his attention fixed on the road but however also paid attention to our conversation. "You look cute in this dress." He tells me. I have some what worked on my confidence levels when I was talking to him right now. So, it is not just him talking and me answering him awkwardly. Every time he compliments me, I stutter over my words which I hope gets better with time.

We talk about lots of stuffs like how hectic work is and how far the preparations for the wedding are being done. The next thing we know, we end up in the entrance of the movie theatre.

Seeing that the parking spot was full with no vacant spot left, he asked me to get down from the car and wait and told me that he would get the car parked at the opposite side of the road. However there happened to be some guys smoking over there, so he told me that we could park and then walk back together.

He took a U-turn and we found an empty spot in front of a clothing shop and decided to park the car there. We then walked to the other side of the road.

He got down from the car and I adjusted the duppata of my chudi. He opened the door for me and I offered him an appreciative smile in return, cause chivalry is apparently dead these days.

As soon as we got down from the car, he took my hands in his and started walking to the other side of the road. I have no idea what was special about that moment but if what I felt for him was liking until that moment, it turned into something really strong. A part of my heart really became warm and the remaining part of my little heart just melted away. It was a really simple gesture which actually may really have not even meant anything to Gautham, but in that moment, I knew he was the one. Call me crazy, delusional or both, but while he held my hand and crossed the road, it felt like I suddenly unravelled a huge part of my life about which I did not have any idea before but it all made sense now.

When we suddenly made it to the other side of the road much, much earlier to my liking, he let go of my hand and suddenly all the warmth from my hands faded away and I really wanted to experience that warmth in mine again. To be honest, I think I will not let go of that hand ever again even if my life depended on it. It felt like as soon as our hands found each other, the strings that held our hearts got connected together.

He had already bought the tickets and it was another five minutes until the gates opened for us to enter our screen. I had no idea what movie he had planned for us in his mind.

A group of guys passed by us, each with a cigar in their hand. They were just blowing smoke right into the air like the senseless creatures they were. I coughed because the smell of cigarettes always made me cough. However, the sound of my cough got the attention of one of them and immediately a few of their heads snapped into my direction. One of them whistled at me and I tightened the grip around my bag as my heart began to race, not in the good way like what Gautham did, but in a really bad way like the feeling when you are watching a horror movie and the ghost jumps out of nowhere.

Immediately Gautham wraps an arm around my shoulders and turns to shoot them one of the fiercest glares I have ever seen until now. No, I really mean it. The  look he gives them actually makes me believe that he had a sort of dark past were he was a rowdy or something. The guys decide to walk away and I immediately turn and look at him, shooting him a grateful smile.

He immediately drops his arms from my shoulders and smiled back at me.

"Sorry for having my hands on you without asking for your permission." He apologised giving me a sheepish look.

"You better be." I reply back sternly just to mess with him. At that exact moment, the entrance opens up and we both walk in.

After finding our seats and finally sitting, they start playing some trailers on the screen.

"Neha, you stay right here. I will get the both of us popcorn." He tells me. "Or do you want to come with me?" He asks me standing up from his seat.

"No Gautham, I will stay here. I am okay." I tell him.

"You sure?" He asks me again and I feel really happy about the fact that someone is concerned about it. "Which flavor?" He asks me.

"Cheese."

"Hey, ditto." He smiled and then waves at me. I watch him disappearing into an ocean of people and I lift my gaze away from him when he goes away out of my sight.

I placed my bag in his seat and look at the trailers playing on the screen, contemplating whether to scroll through my phone but however decide against it when the trailer of some English movie starts playing on the screen. Half way through the trailer, Gautham walks and stands beside me. I smile at him and take my hand bag, place it in my lap and then take a popcorn cup and a coke from his hand.  He sits down his seat with his own popcorn and coke.

Soon the lights dim out and the movie starts playing. Five minutes into the movie, the hero said a dialogue. It was an okayish line but Gautham apparently found it funny. He immediately bursts out laughing. I turn to look at him with amusement but he pays no attention to me and continues to watch the movie.

However I have different plans as I find him and his features far more interesting than the movie, not that the movie is any less interesting. I continue to eye him skeptically like he is a subject matter and I am his researcher.

This goes on for some time and then Gautham suddenly snaps his head towards my direction and I suddenly turn to the screen like a deer caught in the head lights. My bad, the scene playing out in the screen had the hero making out with his girl. I just stare at the screen awkwardly, blushing so much that I was sure that anybody could spot my cheeks even with all these lights out.

Cupid have you struck your arrow?