4 ~ She's American

"Don't fall in love with the moment and think you're in love with the girl." - She's American by The 1975

Stella's P.O.V.

I stood in front of the microwave warming up some mac and cheese since that was the only thing I could find amid the mess. Michael was sitting in the living room and I began to wonder if maybe I had made a friend. I tried not to be too loud, as River was still sleeping upstairs.

"Here you go." I said as I handed Michael a bowl of hot macoroni.

"Thanks." He smiled.

Silence washed over us as we began to eat. It wasn't awkward though.. Just silent.

After a few minutes, Michael spoke. "So why are you here?" He asked bluntly.

"Excuse me?"

"Sorry, that came out wrong.. I just meant how did you end up here?" He clarified.

"Oh.. Well I guess its kind of a long story. Ian, my husband, owns nightclubs. There's one in LA and one in New York. Anyway, one of his business partners thought it would be good to branch out and open one here. Ians a stickler so obviously he had to come here and open it himself. That's why he's not here right now." I stated. "There was a problem over there that he had to deal with."

"Oh. Well then how did.. Um.. Well.. How did that happen? You and him, I mean." Michael asked.

"You're very inquisitive." I raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah, sorry.. If its too personal you don't have to answer."

"No its fine. Its actually refreshing. There's an obvious age difference and everyone I come in contact with seems to tip toe around it." I stated. "I actually met Ian at his club. I was 19 at the time and still wasn't allowed to be in there but my friends convinced me to sneak in there with them. Long story short, it didn't work and I got caught using a fake ID. Ian happened to be near by at the time and overheard what had happened. He convinced the bouncer to let me off the hook and told me that when I turned 21 he'd love to have me come back. He later asked for my number and before you know it, we were dating." I smiled as I reminisced.

"Wow, that's quite a story." Michael replied.

"Yeah I guess.. Anyway, less than a year later I got pregnant with River and we decided to get married."

"I'm probably gonna sound rude again but what's the story with his name?" He asked and I laughed.

"It is strange, I know. My first highschool boyfriend was a huge All Time Low fan and he always said "Stella" was his favorite song by them because of me. I got to like them too and ended up naming River for that one line in their song "Dammed if I do ya."

"Really? That's actually pretty cool. I love ATL too!" Michael gushed.

We continued to talk about different things.. Hobbies, family, friends. I told him about my obsession with music and he told me about how his dream was to be in a successful band. It was nice.

Michael's P.O.V.

Stella and I talked for what seemed like forever. I could tell that she was trying to get up the nerve to ask who Harper was and she finally did. I told her about how we were in love and that she had dumped me before going to college. I told her that harper used to live in this house and that's why I came banging on the door in my drunken state. Stella just listened as I rambled on. She was very understanding and assured me that I had nothing to apologize for.

She told me about how she met her husband and although there was a ten year age difference between them, she was happy. She told me about River and that he was the best thing to ever happen to her.

"Mommy?" River's voice was suddenly heard from the top of the stairs.

Stella got up quickly to see what he wanted.

"Yeah baby, what's up?" She asked him.

"I'm hungry." He said, rubbing his eyes. I peeked out the window and realized the sun had already risen while Stella and I were talking.

"I better go." I said, pointing to the door.

"Are you sure?" Stella asked.

"Yeah, I'm sure. Bye River!" I waved to the small boy and headed toward the front door.

"Bye Michael!" The messy haired boy smiled.

"Goodbye Michael." Stella said as she walked me to the door. "It was nice to talk to you."

"Yeah, you too." And with that I said goodbye again and walked over to my house. Mum was still asleep when I got in so I didn't have to deal with any questions from her. I was exhausted and went straight to bed.

***

I was awakened a few hours later by my mum yelling to me from downstairs. I got up and quickly changed out if the clothes I had worn the night before. I didn't want her to know that I was gone all night. Going down stairs, I was greeted by Luke.

"Hey man. Your mum let me in." He was eating a pancake. "She's a good cook." He said with a full mouth.

"Yeah, I know." I replied, patting him on the shoulder. Luke was my best friend. He was awkward at times but I loved him for it.

"Are you hungry Mikey?" Mum asked, flipping more pancakes onto a plate.

"No, mum I'm fine. Thank you though."

"You really should eat breakfast." It was nice that she was concerned for me.

I already ate with Stella is what I thought of saying, but I decided against it.

After a little persuasion she finally got me to eat a pancake although I wasn't hungry.

In last night's drunken events, I had forgotten that I made plans to practice with Luke. He brought his guitar and we went onto the porch to see if we could write a song.

"It should have lyrics that express how beautiful the girl is." I said, strumming a few notes on my guitar. We had been at it for about an hour now and all we could think of was saying "heeey ey ey" over and over again.

"We should write a song about underwear." Luke said. I assumed he was joking...

"Luke, who the hell is gonna listen to a song about underwear?" I laughed.

"Hey, you never know!"

Soon, we heard the sound of a car coming up the street. It was Ian. He pulled into the driveway of what was how his house and Stella walked out almost immediately.

"Damn, who's that?" Luke's eyes widened as he caught sight of Stella.

"She's the new neighbor." I stated.

"If love to ring her bell." He said with raised eyebrows.

"Yeah Luke, she's the new neignbor.. And he's her husband." I motioned toward Ian who was climbing out of his brand new Mustang.

"Well, shit... There goes my chance." Luke threw his head back in defeat.

"Its not like you had a chance anyway." I scoffed. Luke just shook his head at me and proceeded to call me an asshole.

Ian looked happy to see Stella as she walked toward him but she looked less than thrilled.

"Well thanks for gracing me with your presence." Was all I heard her say. I assumed she was upset about him leaving her alone all night. Although she wasn't alone. She was with me.

But he didn't know that.

***

Heyy guys! Don't forget to vote and comment! Ily!