Training

The room I was taken to was mostly empty. Grae took me in, carrying me. He placed me on the only human sized chair, a few more dog-man sized ones were scattered about. There were several cabinets along the walls, a chest or two, but not much more. It was concerning to me, why was the room so empty and why was I in here? Grae must have seen my slight distress because he reminded me why I was there. He simply said the word for teach, reminding me what he told me before lunch.

It was still odd, why did he have to teach me in such an empty room. He had started fiddling with one of the drawers, placing items in front of me. He had a small stack of cards as well, and a bowl full of something I couldn't see. He showed me the contents, handing me one. It was a candy, melting on my tongue. I was hooked. He said a bunch of words, none of which I really understood.

He pulled out a card, handing me a brush. He said a word in the language of the dog-men, which I decided meant brush. He repeated another word I hadn't heard, holding out his hand. I put the brush in his hand, he praised me and handed me a piece of candy. I was happy to relish in it. He handed me a fork from the kitchen, saying what I presume was the word for fork. He said the other word again, holding out his hand.

We repeated this with several items. He grabbed two items now, showing me both of them. I was unsure of what to do until he spoke. From now on, any words in the dog-man language that I understand will be in quotes like English is.

"Brush." He said. I took the brush from his hand, receiving praise and a piece of candy. "Give." He commanded. I handed him the brush. We repeated this process several times with each item. The candy was delicious so I didn't mind the repetition.

I could hear Grene talking to Lyndsey in the other room, in their language. I couldn't understand any of them. I heard Lyndsey say okay before Grae called her in. She waved to me, I hesitantly saved back. Before she said anything, she picked up a brush. she said a word in the alien language. It seemed far simpler than most dog-man words, closer to their names than most words. She handed it to Grae and he said "Brush". She pointed at the next item, repeating the phrase. He named each object for her, handing her a piece of candy each time.

Grae pulled out a new item, a pillow. He handed it to me and looked at me expectantly. I hesitated for a moment, trying to think of the proper pronunciation. I slowly said the word Lyndsey had said, botching it. He seemed pleased, saying the word for pillow and handing me four pieces of candy. 

I understood now that the phrase I had just learned meant "What is this" or some variation. I was overjoyed to be able to learn new words and made a mental list of things I wanted to learn. 

Grene and Merle came in shortly after, Merle seeming embarrassed. I hopped out of the chair and ran to him, giving him a hug. He seemed much less embarrassed after my hug. I showed him my remaining few pieces of candy, he seemed interested in them. He and Grae spoke for a few minutes until I got bored and led him out to show the new phrase I learned.

I led him to the mirror, pointing at it and repeating the new phrase. He lit up when I said it before saying a word which I presume meant mirror. I grinned at him, proud and excited that I could communicate with him, even if it is just to ask the name of an item in his language.

Published 11/22/18 

This was posted out of order. The previous chapter from Merle's POV hasn't been written yet. This will be deleted once Lunch, Part two is up.