Chapter 2

I could feel my cheeks heating up. I was sure I was making it obvious, but I just couldn’t help it. He had this certain charm about him, which made him seem endearing. It felt like he was different than every other boy in my school.

Jocelyn nudged my shoulder and coughed a bit. I smiled and gestured towards her. “This is my friend, Jocelyn.”

“Hi. Nice to meet you,” she said practically leaping out of her chair. “I love your hair, it’s so nice.”

“Jocelyn! Calm down, you're gonna freak him out.”

He burst out in laughter. “On the contrary. I think she’s gutsy.”

I guess he had a good sense of humor. “So where did you move from?”

He tilted back in his seat before saying,”I moved from Virginia. My parents found better jobs here on the West Coast, so we decided to move.”

Jocelyn asked excitedly,”So how are you liking California?”

“It’s nice, but a lot different than what I’m used to. I mean i knew it was going to be hot, but not this hot. I’m just glad fall is coming.”

“Haha. Don't get so excited. Our fall is just 10 degrees below what we have now, and Winter isn’t really a thing,” I teased.

He looked shocked when he asked, “You're kidding right?”

“Wish I was buddy.” I shot him a huge smile before reclining in my chair, while I enjoyed the last of my shake.

He gave me a little grin while raising an eyebrow in amusement. “Buddy, huh? Is that my new nickname?”

“It can be, unless you already have one.”

Jocelyn was about to chime in before the teacher called her over. That was probably because she hadn’t finished the last quiz, and was procrastinating on finishing it. Procrastination is what definitely connects us.

Michael turned back to me and asked,” So do you have a nickname?”

“I go by Kat.”

“Kat? That sounds cool, kinda edgy.”

“Haha. you think so? I wouldn’t consider myself edgy in the slightest.”

“Mmm.. I don't know. For all I know you could be in a gang, have an awesome bike, and a huge dragon tattoo on your back, several guys chasing you, and a secret stash of cash hidden on one of your private islands in the caribbean.”

We bursted out in laughter at the same time. I couldn’t see anyone through the tears in my eyes, but I’m pretty sure they were just looking at us with idisapproving glances. So, this guy did have a kind of weird side, and he was funny.

He wiped a tear from his eye and took a few good breaths before continuing. “ I guess that was a bit too off topic sorry.”

“Hey don't be sorry. You gotta a weird side. Everyone needs one.”

“I’m glad you see it that way. I guess the bell’s gonna ring soon. What’s your last class?”

“ I have English Lit with Ault.”

“Cool, we have the same class. I guess we can continue our talk. “

“Sounds good to me.”

We walked down the stairs and walked across campus to the D building. I learned his favorite color was purple, he played guitar, had an older brother, and he loved basketball. We had a good number of things in common. We really seemed to easily connect, and I felt instantly comfortable with him.

In our next class we were previewing the next section, and going in depth on taking a stand. I'm not gonna lie this was my second favorite class, after Culinary of course. I especially liked the debates we had.

“Are you excited about the assignment?”
I looked over at him and gave him a smirk “Am I that obvious?”

“Haha. I get it you have your nerdy side.”

Rolling my eyes I said,”I just like rebel stories. Plus the debates in here are pretty intense.”

“Okay then. So how long have you lived here?”

“All my life. We moved here when I was gonna be 5 so this has been my home since forever.”

“Do you wanna move anywhere or travel?”

“I really really wanna go to Paris. I mean I am a hopeless romantic after all.”

“And who do you have in mind to go with?..” He batted his eyelashes and rested his head on his hands. I gave him a little shove making both of us laugh.

“Okay Mister tough guy. Where do you wanna go?”

“I wanna see Rome. My grandma always told me stories about her grandmother. She moved from Rome when she was a teenager. I'd love to see where my ancestors came from; where I came from.”

“Wow. I think that's great and you should go.”

“Are you offering me a trip?”

“Woah. Wait I mean if you're paying then of course.”

Tsk tsk “Now now. Is that how guests are treated?”

I looked around the class and then asked,”Who's the guest?”

“Touché.”

The period flew by. We finished our preview work and just kept talking about what we liked or wanted to do in the future. He was looking for something in engineering and I was still stuck between a degree in English, or something in the culinary field. Because food is life, but that's besides the point.

We packed our stuff and walked towards the door. “I dont know I'm just so stressed about everything. I need a breather from all this college stuff, but.. that's not happening.”

He stopped abruptly in the door, making me run right into him. I rubbed my nose and tried to not look like a major idiot.

He glanced back at me and said, “Oh sorry didn't mean to stop so quickly..”

I looked towards the door and saw Amber walking into the class. She glared in my direction, but softened her stare when she saw Michael. She gave him a smile and batted her eyelashes. I turned to see if her little trick actually worked, hoping it didn't, but it did.

Michael looked like cupid had just shot him in the back with one of his strongest arrows. He looked like a lovesick puppy who just lost their favorite toy. Point is he was hooked.

I didn't want it to be true. He couldn't like her, but then again he didn't know her. Not like I did. Maybe I still had a chance. I'd just have to wait and see.

_________________________________________

A/N:
So... I don't think I made this chapter as interesting as I planned it be. I had my idea, but it just didnt come out the way I was thinking. The next chapters will finally bring the trio together though and some other drama.(I mean it does center in Highschool so..)  I'll also be putting kinda nerdy jokes in once a while, just for fun.😜

And once again thank you to everyone who takes a chance on my book.