Chapter 3

He held her left hand in his and softly caressed her cheek. He stared deeply into her eyes, slowly closing the distance between them. She held her breathe as.. 

"HEY!"

I jumped out of my seat and dropped my phone. I swear my heart was beating at 100mph. I tried to catch my breathe, before looking up and glaring at the culprit.

Mike was laughing (yeah I gave him his nickname) his butt off. He was gripping the sides of his stomach and wiping tears from his eyes.

I took his hand and pulled myself off the floor. "You suck."

He sent me a grin before responding,"Aw come on. You gotta admit that was hilarious. You shoulda seen your face."

I stuck out my tongue and then it struck me. Where was my phone? I'm pretty sure I looked crazy shifting around and rummaging through my bag.

"Looking for this?"

"Mike! You suck."

"I think you've said that already. What was so important on your phone anyway?"

"I was reading."

"Reading?..."

"One life, One love. It's a story on wattpad."

"You're too much of a hopeless romantic."

"I just love love. You know?"

"Smh. Must be a girl thing."

I checked my phone for cracks but his little comment hit a spot. Without thinking I said,"At least I dont look like a lovesick puppy."

Oops. Kinda..

He grabbed my phone, which grabbed my attention. "When do I look like a lovesick puppy?"

Gulp.

"I uh.. well there are moments. When a little someone blonde comes by."

A "sweet, angelic" voice chimed in. "Hi Michael."

And the puppy instantly answered. "Hey Amber."

She tried to not so subtly flick her hair and sway her hips as she walked over to him. (Kinda making her look sort of... you know.)

I tried to bite my lip and remember to be the bigger person.

"So. Michael there's a party at Ricky's, are you gonna go?"

It took him a few seconds before he snapped out of it. "I didnt know there was a party."

"It's this Saturday at 8. We should go."

She grabbed his hand and slowly started moving upward until her arms were wrapped around his neck.

"Can Kaitlynn come too?"

Her nice attitude instantly dropped and the glare I knew too well returned. She looked at me with pure disgust. I could practically feel the intensity of her stare. She looked ready to shut that idea down, but somehow managed to control herself.

"Well.. Mikey. It's not my party and I think Ricky said I could only invite 1 person. You understand right?"

He slowly pulled her arms off of his  neck. Her face clearly showed she was insulted. Amber was used to always getting what she wanted, and this was especially true to guys. Seeing someone finally stand up to her in a way made me really happy on the inside.

"If she can't come then I can't go. Thanks for the invite, but maybe some other time."

With that we walked out of class and made our way to the parking lot. I was hesitant to ask him why he declined her invitation, but a part of me was hopeful. I just wanted to grasp it for a bit longer.