The Very First Time I Saw You (1)

On the day of his birthday event, Jian Bianlin left very early.

Chu Jian was in charge of bringing her parents as well as Jian Bianlin’s dad to the celebration’s venue. Prior to heading out, his dad actually watched the entertainment news for the first time ever. The image switched. On the screen was Lu Congwen’s face, smiling in front of a bunch of microphones as he answered some queries around the romantic rumours about him that were circulating.

Chu Jian did not listen in detail, but recalling her one and only encounter with this currently hot young actor, she remarked, “This guy shows one face in front of people and then has a whole different face behind your back. He looks down on people so badly.”

Chu Jian’s mom gave an “oh.” She knew that Jian Bianlin’s dad did not have a very good opinion about actors, singers, and other show business professions to begin with, and for fear that this would become an excuse to vent out such displeasure on Jian Bianlin and criticize him, she hurriedly tried to smooth past that comment. “That person’s occupation is being a celebrity. It stands to reason that not every sentence of his can be the truth. And plus, when you’re worshipped every day by your fans, it’s inevitable that it goes to your head a little. He’s young, after all.”

“Jian Bianlin doesn’t.” Chu Jian countered her mom’s words with this statement.

Chu Jian’s parents exchanged a look. Jian Bianlin’s dad took a drink of his hot tea and very cheerfully continued watching the television. Originally, he had wanted to watch the news rerun of Jian Bianlin’s sudden marriage announcement. Contrary to his expectations, though, that news was not shown, and he muttered, “For once, that brat has a piece of news that I actually want to watch, but then it’s not even rerun…”

Only then did Chu Jian understand Jian Bianlin’s dad’s intention. Her face hot, she instructed everyone to follow her out.

On his end, Jian Bianlin was busy with the final preparations for the birthday event so was unable to attend to them. Xie Bin’s plan had been to have a staff member bring them directly into the venue. However, this was the first time Jian Bianlin’s dad and Chu Jian’s parents were attending such an event, and they had curiosity like children, unanimously requesting that they follow all normal channels and sit in normal seats to experience the “fan culture” up close.

And so, Xiao Yu brought out a few tickets with centrally-located seats. After following Jian Bianlin’s dad, father-in-law, and mother-in-law from a distance of three steps behind and ensuring that they were all safely seated, he gestured to Chu Jian that he was slipping away and then ran off to continue with his busy work.

Front and back, left and right, there were young girls holding up LED light-up signs or glow sticks.

Honestly, they were all young girls. The ones who were slightly older did not comprise even twenty percent of the total numbers.

From the moment they took their seats, the chattering that surrounded them was all discussions about the marriage news. There were all sorts of guesses and speculations, some of them good and, of course, some of them bad. After all, aside from releasing this news, Jian Bianlin’s company truly had not paid to have any canned press releases. The meaning of that was very obvious: Anything that could be announced had already been announced, and whatever was withheld and not mentioned was, therefore, private.

“Your man forked out an arm and a leg this time. The red packets that he handed out to all the media and various marketing IDs on social media were amply padded. His reputation in the industry is good to begin with, and now that he has so clearly declared his stance in this, absolutely no one will leak your private details. You can set your mind at ease and just go live your cozy, happy life with him.”