Realization

Sofia's POV

"Alright class, for your final project, please choose a musician you admire and cover one of their songs and give us little information on their inspirations as well. Get started now, I expect to hear your covers in two weeks." Mrs. Cloverfield, my music teacher, says.

"Who are going to choose, Sof?" My best friend, Melanie, asks. 

"I honestly don't know. Maybe Demi Lovato?"

"Well, good luck with that. I'm going get started on singing 'Everlasting Love'." Mel says, pulling up the lyrics on her phone. 

"Wait a minute, by FIFTH HARMONY?" 

"Well yeah, they're my favourite band of all time." Camila's band. I wonder what she's up to now? Definitely not thinking about me, that's for sure. I hope she's having fun, living the good life wherever she is. 

"Earth to Sofi! What song are you going to sing of Demi's?" Mel asks, snapping me out of my thoughts. 

"Uh, Stone Cold." 

"Oh really Cabello.  I don't think your puny voice can handle that song. My voice, on the other hand, is perfect for it. I think I'll do it instead." Jenny, the school bully, interrupts as she waltzes on by. 

"Is it just me, or has she gotten more bitchy recently?"

"It's definitely not you." I say, sending a glare at Jenny. Following Melanie's lead, I pull my lyrics on my phone along with the tune. I had just gotten the first verse down when the bell finally rang, signifying the end of the day. 

"You want to come over Mel?" 

"Sure, why not?" Grinning, we both made dash toward the exit of the school where mother was waiting patiently. 

"Hello darling! Hi Melanie! How was your days?" 

"It was the usual mother." 

"It was fine, Mrs. Cabello." 

"That's good to hear. Are you coming home with Sofia?" Mother inquires, smiling. Melanie shyly nods. 

"If you don't mind of course." 

"Of course not." Mother replies, leading us to the car and open the rear door for us. The two of us quickly pile inside before she shuts the door and enters the driver seat. It wasn't a long a drive home, and pretty soon, our house came in to view. 

"Alright Melanie, why don't you head up to Sofi's room and wait for her there? I need to talk to her for a moment." Melanie nods and scurries up the stairs and out of sight. 

"What's wrong mother?" I ask.

"It's about Camila." My mood instantly changed for the worse. 

"What does she want?" I growl. 

"Sofi, remember how she promised to come back for Christmas this year?" I nod my head, not understanding where this is going. 

"Well, she can't make it. Your sister has some interviews to attend I'm afraid. I know this hard for you, Sofi. It's just as hard on your father and I." Mother says, embracing me in a tight hug. I couldn't help but let a few tears escape at the thought of Camila abandoning us again. 

"Go on up, Melanie's waiting. I'll call you when it's time for dinner. " Mother says. I nod, and trudge slowly to my room. 

Sinu's POV

I sighed as I watched my younger daughter head up the stairs to her room. It broke my heart seeing Sofia like this, rarely wearing a smile. 

"What are you thinking about Sinu?" Alejandro asks as he emerges from the doorway leading in to the kitchen.