Chapter 6

She had always loved to read. Ever since she was a little girl Taylor had been fascinated by the stories her favorite books told her, she had always found comfort in the familiarity the books she read over and over again provided her.

But now, sitting on the beach outside of her little cottage, for the first time Taylor couldn't get lost in a story. She kept on losing focus. She couldn't pay attention. Not even her favorite book, which she had read more times than she could count, could give her a momentary escape from life.

Taylor suffered from an enormous lack of sleep. Her sleep deprived brain couldn't focus on the all too familiar words written on a page anymore, her thoughts were out of her control she couldn't keep her mind from wandering. And Taylor was getting more and more frustrated with every night she sat outside.

At what point would she finally reach the point where she collapsed and got some desperately needed rest? She knew that she couldn't keep on doing this for much longer. And she didn't want to do this for much longer.

As the sun was beginning to rise, Taylor pushed herself off the ground and slowly made her way back to the bedroom where her girlfriend was currently sleeping. Girlfriend. The word caused a smile to take over Taylor's face. Karlie Kloss really was her girlfriend. No matter how tired or frustrated she was, knowing that she now could call her best friend her girlfriend made Taylor overcome with happiness.

"Where have you been?" Karlie asked her voice full of sleep as Taylor entered the bedroom.

"Oh God you scared the hell out of me," Taylor exclaimed, her heart hammering in her chest. She did not expect the other girl to be awake at such an ungodly hour.

"I'm sorry, baby," Karlie apologized sounding more awake by the minute. Taylor crossed the room and got under the covers, facing Karlie. "You didn't answer my question though," Karlie yawned as she put her arm around Taylor's waist, pulling her closer.

"I was thirsty so I went to drink some water. I'm sorry if I woke you up." Once again Taylor passed up the chance to finally come clean.

"It's okay, let's get some more sleep," Karlie assured the other girl and was back asleep within a few short minutes. Taylor followed her shortly after the exhaustion slowly catching up to her.

Later that morning Karlie woke up before Taylor. As she laid there, her arms wrapped protectively around the slightly smaller girl, Karlie took the time to openly admire her girlfriend. She found it strange how normal it felt to call Taylor her girlfriend. It was the most natural thing in the world to her.

She always used to make fun of Taylor whenever the shorter blonde claimed that some things were simply meant to be. She had always thought the concept was ridiculous. But lying in bed with Taylor, Karlie couldn't help but think they were meant to be. Karlie couldn't wait to tell her family about the amazing girl she was falling for a little more every single minute she spent with her.

But over the last few days Karlie had also noticed some changes in her girlfriend. She noticed the bags under Taylor's eyes; she saw how distant those blue eyes often were. She noticed how forgetful her smart girlfriend had become. She noticed how jumpy Taylor was; she noticed her eating less and most of all she noticed Taylor leaving every night.

Last night hadn't been the first time she had noticed Taylor's absence. She was worried sick but she didn't know what to do. The model hoped that Taylor would open up to her soon but when she thought back to the few conversations they've had about Taylor's problems she was sure the other girl wouldn't talk. Karlie didn't blame her for keeping quiet; she couldn't even begin to imagine what Taylor had been going through alone for so long. She knew that speaking up after such a long time would be hard for the other girl.