Chapter 13

"Karlie, there's a letter for you," Tracy Kloss said when she spotted Karlie sitting on the couch in the den.

"For me?" Karlie asked confused. Who would send her mail here?

"Yeah, it's from California."

Karlie immediately ripped the envelope open.

"Taylor," she sighed with a smile on her face. Tracy left the room, thinking about how she had never seen her daughter this in love.

'My dearest Karlie,

Where do I start? I'm not sure. I feel like there's so much I have to apologize for. And I know that you just rolled your eyes at the sentence. I know you don't think I have anything to apologize for, but Kar I do. I know you'd just say, "It's fine" and we'd move on. But it's not fine. While we were together I had this recurring dream. At first it only came when I was asleep but as I slept less the dream appeared whenever I zoned out. In the dream I took a surfboard and went into the ocean. It was nighttime and there was a storm. With every time I had this dream, the storm got worse, but you know what? You came to save me from drowning every time. You saved me. Now I feel like that dream, or rather this nightmare was a pretty accurate reflection of what was going on inside of me. I was going through a really tough time by myself but you came to rescue me. Recently I came to realize though, it's not fair of me to expect you to come and save me. I realized you can't save me. Don't get me wrong here, I love you Karlie Elizabeth Kloss with all of my heart and I know that you love me too. If love was really all we needed, we would've been so happy together. But it's not. The only person who can save me is me. I know that now. And I promise you, I'll work on myself, I'll take all the time I need to heal and to become a better person. And Karlie, I know that this process is going to take a lot of time. And I don't expect you to wait around for me. I would never want to keep you from anything in your life. You deserve all the happiness and all the good things this world has to offer. I don't want you to waste your precious time on this planet on waiting for me. So I'm setting you free.

With all my love,

Taylor.'

By the end of the letter Karlie's smile had turned into tears. Had Taylor given up on them?

One month later

"Taylor Swift?"

Taylor perked up at her name getting called during the weekly mail call. Who would send her mail? She stood up and walked over to the postman. "Here you go," he said as he handed her a small package.

"Thank you," Taylor said, still surprised. She scanned the package for the address of the sender.

Lily.

Disappointment settled in her gut. She had the irrational hope that Karlie had send her something. But why would she? Taylor had set her free. Maybe Taylor just wanted Karlie to fight for her a little. Maybe she had hoped the model wouldn't give up so easily. Taylor walked to her room, the package in hand. She ripped it open and came face-to-face with a small scrapbook and a letter. She decided to read the letter first.

'Dear Taylor,

We all miss you so much!! I got together with Gigi, Ed, Martha, Emma and Karlie last night. We made dinner together but we all couldn't get over the fact that you weren't with us. Remember how we'd FaceTime you whenever we met up while you were on tour? Or how we'd FaceTime Emma when she was on set? It's just not the same when one of us isn't there.

So we made a scrapbook for you (Dixie helped too, that kid misses you like crazy). We put our favorite pictures of you and our endless cooking, baking, wine drinking, gossiping sessions in there. We all hope it makes you feel better. We miss you and we can't wait for you to come home. You mean the world to us all.