Volume 1 - Chapter 6

The soldiers didn’t have any opinion of us. I initially thought they’d discriminate against us or something, but they didn’t say anything when we went to grab food and sat down to eat. To the contrary, they seemed to not care about us.

They all looked as relaxed as can be like school kids having casual chats after completing their final exams. They wore happy and relaxed expressions because they were done and could now return home and relax.

These soldiers, who were part of the crusades against the demons, were very fortunate to live through it. They were now thinking about returning home and what to do next with their life.

While Queen Sisi was very cruel to me, she rewarded the soldiers very handsomely. All the survivors received a fair amount of reward money, so they could return home and live in peace now.

Consequently, they were in a very good mood and didn’t have any plans to bother with us. They all had their own lives to live.

It’s the same for us. We’ll have our own lives to live in the future as well.

We’re going to be heading to the north. I don’t even have a grasp of this army camp, nor do I understand it, let alone this so-called north. I don’t know what’s awaiting us but compared to last night, I think that our lives can’t be any worse.

At least Veirya doesn’t look evil. Strictly speaking, she can be considered a kind individual.

I ripped the bread into tiny pieces, put it into the bowl of soup in front of me and stirred it for a while.

I don’t know what this soup is either. It looks like lots of things were tossed into it. Perhaps it was mainly some sort of milk. I looked more like oats in milk but it tasted very sour like some sort of yoghurt.

Leah, who hadn’t had anything to eat, loved it, though. She scooped spoonful after spoonful causing a mess on her face.

I reached out to gently wipe the food off her face. I watched her scoop the bottom of the wooden bowl to get everything she could and chuckled helplessly. I pushed my bowl in front of me to her.

“Are you not eating, Papa?” Leah looked up at me with puzzlement.

I shook my head. I looked at her with a smile and replied, “It’s alright. You have it. I’m not hungry yet. I’ll have some when I’m hungry.”

Leah was still looking at me with puzzlement. She then lowered her head and thought to herself for a moment. She trembled as she picked up the bowl in front of me. She poured half into her bowl and pushed the bowl with half of it left back to me. She smiled as she picked her spoon up and cheerfully said, “Papa, let’s have half each!”

I looked at the soup before me and picked up my spoon with a grin. I rubbed Leah’s small head, which was in front of me. Why does my daughter seem so cute? Leah and I lowered our heads at the same time, looked at the food in our bowls and gulped it down.

I must say, this sort of yoghurt-tasting milk tastes pretty good when you have it when it’s hot. Unfortunately, because we divided it half-half between us, we finished it in really quickly. Honestly, it still tasted sour when it hit my gut.

Not only was I not full, but my appetite was greater now. I looked at the bowl in front of me and honestly felt hopeless. The soldiers had one bowl each, as well, so I couldn’t go and grab another bowl now.

It looks like I’ll have to deal with this hunger pang. I’m a little hungry, but I did eat something. I must remind myself that I had something to eat so that I feel satiated.

This isn’t bad.

Two long pieces of meat were suddenly tossed over, landing in front of us.

“I don’t think you two are full, hey?” A crisp voice came from overhead and I looked up with surprise.